Mannin Line Today

hissingsid

2 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Nobody does. We are used to that. 😆

But that isn't the point.  The point which you raised, I think, was having restrictions placed on you without being consulted or advised, and  having some authority to back them up.  

Either taxis are public transport, wear a mask, or it is not, and it is at the discretion of the driver and passengers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Either taxis are public transport, wear a mask, or it is not, and it is at the discretion of the driver and passengers. 

Mask wearing in taxis on the Isle of Man is mandatory.

Government has confirmed it considers them to be public transport and face coverings are a legal requirement.

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

But that isn't the point.  The point which you raised, I think, was having restrictions placed on you without being consulted or advised, and  having some authority to back them up.  

Hi. 

My points are really the following.

*No consultation

*No links or information fed to the trade so many didn't know about the mandate 

*No information from RTLC

*Confusion at ranks from drivers and passengers. No prior knowledge.

*Bad public image as taxis are refusing entry to passengers 

*Effects on income

*Overall health benefits to both parties. Some doctors think masks should only be worn by people with bad coughs and runny noses and only for short periods of time. 

*Was a mandate really necessary until full effects of Omicron are known?

I am sure there are more including the fact that several hundreds of people mingle maskless in bars, clubs, restaurants etc before the big mask debate at the taxi rank. (Not by me. I'm actually cool..I'm merely raising a debate). 

2 minutes ago, emesde said:

Mask wearing in taxis on the Isle of Man is mandatory.

Government has confirmed it considers them to be public transport and face coverings are a legal requirement.

But legally they are private hire vehicles. They are not public transport but I'm sure nobody in the taxi trade could be bothered trying to sue government over it. Not that anyone is going to get fined anyway. Public transport runs on fixed routes. Taxis do not.

Don't you know there's a war on?

I have to ask, Bazza, why didn't you see this coming? It was inevitable that we'd reach this stage with the virus and some conditions would be re-introduced. The virus is fairly fluid, as we are experiencing (I predict it won't be the last time, unfortunately). So I'm surprised you and your colleagues seem unprepared, that you didn't see it coming and needed notice to implement the mask sanction.

Are drivers fearful of having to say "no mask, no ride" to revellers? They need your business to go places so surely they'd willingly comply?

What is there to debate when all is said and done? 

• Like 2

Just now, gloverlover said:

But legally they are private hire vehicles. They are not public transport but I'm sure nobody in the taxi trade could be bothered trying to sue government over it. Not that anyone is going to get fined anyway. Public transport runs on fixed routes. Taxis do not.

Hi

I am not sure if you remember the bus lane on Glencrutchery Road? The taxi trade long argued that they should be allowed to use that. They were told by the DOI that due to the fact that they were not public transport, they could not use it! Strange the way the mood changes once the subject matter or agenda changes. Now definitely public transport. The hypocrisy is real. 🙃

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

They were told by the DOI that due to the fact that they were not public transport, they could not use it! Strange the way the mood changes once the subject matter or agenda changes. Now definitely public transport. The hypocrisy is real. 🙃

Public transport is any regulary scheduled mode of transport which operates on a prescribed route. A taxi is a ply for hire or private hire vehicle which goes where the fare payer asks to go. It isn't public transport.

Edited by gloverlover
Error
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, quilp said:

Don't you know there's a war on?

I have to ask, Bazza, why didn't you see this coming? It was inevitable that we'd reach this stage with the virus and some conditions would be re-introduced. The virus is fairly fluid, as we are experiencing (I predict it won't be the last time, unfortunately). So I'm surprised you and your colleagues seem unprepared, that you didn't see it coming and needed notice to implement the mask sanction.

Are drivers fearful of having to say "no mask, no ride" to revellers? They need your business to go places so surely they'd willingly comply?

What is there to debate when all is said and done? 

Hi

I will go through all your questions. There's a lot. 

A war? No I'm not aware. I've been living my life the best I can, sadly travelling back and forward to the Irish Republic many times as my Dad is poorly. I suggest many others start living life too. It's very short. 

It wasn't that I didn't see it coming. It's how it came about and why. Going back to the lack of consultation I mean.  

It is actually the customers/passengers that are not prepared. I'm actually trying to look after their best interests more. 

Regarding refusals. Me personally I'm out there to earn money, not turn it away. 

Lack of consultation and the fact that unless I read or see differently I might have to wear a mask for the rest of my working life. I don't quite relish the thought of that. PS I didn't open the conversation on here. I just seen my name mentioned so thought I'd do a bit of tippytappy. 

6 minutes ago, gloverlover said:

Public transport is any regulary scheduled mode of transport which operates on a prescribed route. A taxi is a ply for hire or private hire vehicle which goes where the fare payer asks to go. It isn't public transport.

In the new regulations/mandate it is stated that the regulations apply to any vehicle listed as a PPV in the Road Transport Act 2001.