Mannin Line Today

hissingsid

What I heard when it was announced was that everyone is now mandated to wear a mask on public transport. For me, that meant any form of transporting the public to and from any destination, whether bus, taxi, whatever. Did the move to mask-wearing really require a consultation with cab-drivers when it was obvious to most people that erring on the side of caution was a natural progression given the transmissibillty of this new variant? Are people really that dumb not to think in stages? Is viral load different in cab? 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

What I heard when it was announced was that everyone is now mandated to wear a mask on public transport. For me, that meant any form of transporting the public to and from any destination, whether bus, taxi, whatever. Did the move to mask-wearing really require a consultation with cab-drivers when it was obvious to most people that erring on the side of caution was a natural progression given the transmissibillty of this new variant? Are people really that dumb not to think in stages? Is viral load different in cab? 

More for the passengers it was required really. On nights 70+% as a guess turn up without a mask. I and my colleagues are out there trying to make a living. Not turn 70% of those that wish to go home away. From my perspective I have now bought 100 masks and will if necessary give them to passengers that need them. That's at my own expense by the way. That's only my perspective. Others may well think differently. 

I got 2 taxis on Saturday night. 

First one, both driver and I were wearing a mask.  Had a chat and he was telling me that most people when pissed aren't wearing them (and don't have them) and he had to buy boxes to hand out to his punters.  He was debating whether to charge people say an extra £1 for the mask.  Personally I thought he should. 

Second taxi, both wearing masks initially, but then he told me he hated them.  If I wanted to take mine off I could and he would take his off too.  Both came off.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Honestly can't see the issue. Nobody likes wearing a mask and nobody wants to. But we are where we are and most of us are just getting on with it, without whining like fuck about it. 

I kind of agree, but can also see Bazza's point that dealing with people after a few drinks can be challenging, particularly if you are the one to tell them to mask up.  It would have helped if govt had said that public transport included taxis.

Provide masks but charge for them, no charge if you have your own.  It is no biggy to always have a mask in your pocket or bag. 

But I don't agree with the argument that mask wearing requirements are undermining civil liberties and are the thin end of the wedge.  They are far preferable to lockdown.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Not aimed at you personally Bazza. Just more an observation that some appear to be wanting to make a song and dance of the current situation while others just quietly get on with it. 

Thank you. What most of the passengers do is argue drunkenly on the side of the street with taxi drivers. The point from me is that taxi drivers in general as far as I know are getting on with it. The passengers on the side of the debate, particularly those at night are not. That leads to confusion. I personally am not confused as I do try to get in with it, but trust me dealing with drunk and drugged folk ain't easy at the best of times. Sh!t does hit the fan. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Gotta say I thought the Mannin Line was far better today. Covid and ivy. Really exciting stuff compared to what boring Barry called in about yesterday. Looking forward to midday tomorrow already. 🙃

Never look forward to it with Wint running the show. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

But I don't agree with the argument that mask wearing requirements are undermining civil liberties and are the thin end of the wedge.  They are far preferable to lockdown.

What about when seatbelts were made mandatory?  Was that the thin edge of the wedge?  Were your civil liberties undermined then?  Or was it a piece of legislation designed to protect the lives of drivers and passengers in the event of an accident?  Did Taxi drivers complain then about enforcing that requirement?

The mask advice and mandates are designed to protect the general population from a virus.  Put your big girl/boy pants on an suck it up.

Sadly history shows that even at times of national emergencies, such as a world war, people were still resisting restrictions to help protect them.  See resistance to gas masks and black outs for examples.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

What about when seatbelts were made mandatory?  Was that the thin edge of the wedge?  Were your civil liberties undermined then?  Or was it a piece of legislation designed to protect the lives of drivers and passengers in the event of an accident?  Did Taxi drivers complain then about enforcing that requirement?

The mask advice and mandates are designed to protect the general population from a virus.  Put your big girl/boy pants on an suck it up.

Sadly history shows that even at times of national emergencies, such as a world war, people were still resisting restrictions to help protect them.  See resistance to gas masks and black outs for examples.

For fear of nitpicking, taxi drivers are largely exempt from wearing seatbelts due to the occasional idiots trying to choke us. Strangely enough it's happened to me. I take your point though. 

36 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Not sure that reply is meant for me.