Mannin Line Today

hissingsid

Just now, emesde said:

From today's 3f news. 

Just pointing it out! 

Meanwhile, a taxi driver who says the trade has been "hung out to dry" by the government is also asking for more clarity. 

Indeed. We are not lawyers or public advisors. Then again I've said that probably three times on this thread already. In any other line of work where legal responsibility changes at least I think an email of what's planned would be expected. More to protect the passengers of course, but then again it's much easier to bash the drivers. 

33 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Perhaps the Government assumed the public including drivers of public transport had a modicum of common sense….obviously a big mistake.

If you look at this thread there are different interpretations of what is public transport, all of them logical and "common sense".  For example, a taxi it is a private ply to hire ergo not public.  Fact is they were wrong and the regulations specifically refer to ppv.  

The real common sense would be to check the regs. Previously weren't we supposed to wear masks in taxis?

Edited by Gladys
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If you look at this thread there are different interpretations of what is public transport, all of them logical and "common sense".  For example, a taxi it is a private ply to hire ergo not public.  Fact is they were wrong and the regulations specifically refer to ppv.  

Has anyone made the Coronavirus aware of all these distinctions?

44 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Perhaps the Government assumed the public including drivers of public transport had a modicum of common sense….obviously a big mistake.

Two big problems. A large percentage of drivers do not speak English as a main language and would not have a clue where said regulations are, let alone understand them. 

Second problem is pissed up and sometimes coked up party people at the weekends either conveniently kinda forget or don't give a damn. 

Hence the need for consultation and notification. It just would have made life a lot easier, that's all. 

Edited by Bazza Smurf

3 hours ago, Bazza Smurf said:

For fear of nitpicking, taxi drivers are largely exempt from wearing seatbelts due to the occasional idiots trying to choke us. Strangely enough it's happened to me. I take your point though. 

Got the stats on that? What percentage of taxi drivers don't wear seat belts and of those that don't how many are strangled with them and how many are seriously injured as a result of an accident? 

There is at least one taxi driver on the Island that I would be tempted to try it on though.  No its not you Bazza.

Wear a mask when you have passenger,  open the windows a bit for ventilation and take breaks out of the car and use that as an opportunity to swap your mask for a fresh one.  As for the passengers if they won't wear a mask why not fit a screen?

ETA: Don't even get me started on the number of Taxi drivers mucking about with their phones whilst driving.  I guess they are exempt from that offence too

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Not sure that reply is meant for me. 

Sorry, you are right I honed in on the undermining of civil liberties part and saw red.  

Edited by manxman1980
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Got the stats on that? What percentage of taxi drivers don't wear seat belts and of those that don't how many are strangled with them and how many are seriously injured as a result of an accident? 

There is at least one taxi driver on the Island that I would be tempted to try it on though.  No its not you Bazza.

Wear a mask when you have passenger,  open the windows a bit for ventilation and take breaks out of the car and use that as an opportunity to swap your mask for a fresh one.  As for the passengers if they won't wear a mask why not fit a screen?

ETA: Don't even get me started on the number of Taxi drivers mucking about with their phones whilst driving.  I guess they are exempt from that offence too

No stats sorry. It carries on from long before I got involved. I have had the belt pulled on my neck though. It was a bit scary but managed to sort it. I'm still alive (obviously 😄). 

I am thinking of trying to get a different vehicle. I have personal family problems at the moment and until that's sorted I'm not spending extra money on anything. I just hope all this mask stuff is temporary. 

I cannot comment on phones. Of course we are not exempt. Is it perhaps the PDA dispatch systems you have noticed? Not sure. Cannot comment much in that really. 

3 hours ago, Bazza Smurf said:

For fear of nitpicking, taxi drivers are largely exempt from wearing seatbelts due to the occasional idiots trying to choke us. Strangely enough it's happened to me. I take your point though. 

how much does she charge ?

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Don’t you know taxi drivers transcend mere traffic regulations? Just look at Victoria Street where the loading bay and disabled bays form an extension to the rank. God help you if you try to raise it with them though and the RTLC do fuck all as “taking action against drivers for illegal actions or offensive behavior” might affect their livelihoods, bless

32 minutes ago, yorik said:

Don’t you know taxi drivers transcend mere traffic regulations? Just look at Victoria Street where the loading bay and disabled bays form an extension to the rank. God help you if you try to raise it with them though and the RTLC do fuck all as “taking action against drivers for illegal actions or offensive behavior” might affect their livelihoods, bless

Ridgeway Street also forms part of it. Tried to turn down onto Victoria Street the other day and they were blocking the junction. "Go round" was there helpful shout.