Have we moved to Cymru?

yorik

6 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

Can anyone explain why some people hate Welsh, and the other languages of these islands, so much? It is quite irrational. I see words in languages I can't necessarily understand all the time, but I don't ever feel this blind hatred. What is going on in these people's minds when they see Welsh, or Manx, or Scottish Gaelic or Irish? It is clearly something more than just a hatred of the oldest linguistic traditions in these islands, but what is it? 

I think you'll find it's just one person.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Throwing humour in at the beginning or at the end of a racist conversation doesn’t make it any less racist. 

You’re right though, with a different approach it may have been amusing - and less hateful. 

I agree, my point was there was the opportunity for humour not any racism !

15 hours ago, wrighty said:

I’m as un-PC as anyone I know, but even I’m thinking of reporting this. Try replacing “Welsh speaking” with “black” or “Pakistani”.  How does it come across then Barlow? And all because some road contractors are using a set of signs they previously used in Wales. 

Nahh, you're not un-PC wrighty, and if you are going to start doing the "try replacing this with that" sketch, I think you are as woke as they come.

23 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Nahh, you're not un-PC wrighty, and if you are going to start doing the "try replacing this with that" sketch, I think you are as woke as they come.

Being woke to the younger generation essentially means being polite, respectful and considerate to others. That seems a pretty good way to try and behave so I am not sure why some people seem to think being anti-woke is something to be proud of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

If some think I’m “as woke as they come”, and others think the opposite I’m probably getting it, whatever it is, about right 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, opusManx said:

Ok...probably not quite the correct thread...but just a dumb question from a "ruddy forner"...do you know any online resources for learning Manx Gaelic?...

and...would you say it's closer to Scottish Gaelic or Irish? (since those two are available on Duolingo).

And no, y'all in this forum do not constitute an online linguistic resource by any stretch of Terry Gilliam's mind, even when it comes to English 🤣

Try this one

https://www.learnmanx.com/

I think it is closer to Irish.