The Whiteboys

An article in the IOM Newspaper website, a group of people gathering tomorrow in the south of the island, prancing around, singing and making merriment. Under normal circumstances I would take that as a glorified pub crawl followed by a punch up, and our constabulary would have a couple of vans. Alas it is supposed to be a ‘ye olde world Manx tradition’. 

Having seen the comments from posters, it’s not going to be long before, accusations of the ‘isms’ and the ‘ists’, 

From a non Manx perspective I had never heard of them, and also can see other opposing views, especially in the year that Racism and Homophobia has had a spotlight shone on it. 

32 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Not that it will make any difference but they’re called the Whiteboys because their costumes are white. 

I think that is the point. These days the lilly livered liberal left woke will pick up on anything regardless of context. See Morris dancers blacking up for example.

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Is that Frank Zappa in the top hat?

Screenshot_20211217-084346_Chrome.jpg

He looks like the Isle of Man’s Witchfinder General. All that’s needed is the Village Pond, Stocks, Ducking Stool and Village Idiot (no shortage of contenders there).

Whilst they are making fun and merriment, and no doubt shaking the bucket, perhaps it’s proceeds could be donated to the Isle of Man Steam Packet Liverpool Landing Stage Fund (target £70million). 

16 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I think that is the point. These days the lilly livered liberal left woke will pick up on anything regardless of context. See Morris dancers blacking up for example.

Next you'll be asking why the minstrels aren't playing on Ramsey shore anymore.

Interestingly, minstrelsy is exactly where the blackface in Morris dancing came from. Morris dancing was knocking about for about 5 centuries before the blackface got added.

2 hours ago, quilp said:

Hasn't it been happening for 200 years though? Part of our heritage an'that? 

And probably a good deal longer. Mummers' plays date back to at least the Middle Ages and, as with many 'Christian' traditions, may well have evolved from something that was going on long before then.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Next you'll be asking why the minstrels aren't playing on Ramsey shore anymore.

Interestingly, minstrelsy is exactly where the blackface in Morris dancing came from. Morris dancing was knocking about for about 5 centuries before the blackface got added.

You need to brush up on your 'google' skills. And you do realise that wiki is, erm, wiki.

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

An article in the IOM Newspaper website, a group of people gathering tomorrow in the south of the island, prancing around, singing and making merriment. Under normal circumstances I would take that as a glorified pub crawl followed by a punch up, and our constabulary would have a couple of vans. Alas it is supposed to be a ‘ye olde world Manx tradition’. 

Having seen the comments from posters, it’s not going to be long before, accusations of the ‘isms’ and the ‘ists’, 

From a non Manx perspective I had never heard of them, and also can see other opposing views, especially in the year that Racism and Homophobia has had a spotlight shone on it. 

Nobody was bothering until you (our resident Karen) bothered to mention it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2