The Whiteboys

And this hunting of the wren is despicable in this day and age.

At least the Spanish have some machismo and guts and chase and torment bulls and then stab them to death and eat them, the swetty socks do the same with their haggis, which may be not so big but they are vicious wee buggers. And all we have is a wren. A tiny harmless wren. Maybe we should chase Manx cats through the streets and stab and eat them and that

Edited by Barlow

26 minutes ago, Barlow said:

At least the Spanish have some machismo and guts and chase and torment bulls and then stab them to death and eat them, the swetty socks do the same with their haggis, which may be not so big but they are vicious wee buggers. And all we have is a wren. A tiny harmless wren. Maybe we should chase Manx cats through the streets and stab and eat them but I bet there won't be much appetite for that

The Spanish & French actually do hunt songbirds, millions of them, illegally. So it's not just not a load of old bull!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The Spanish & French actually do hunt songbirds, millions of them, illegally. So it's not just not a load of old bull!

Millions you say. And we find one. Just one. Put it in a cage and dance around it as if we just won the world cup.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Yibble said:

And probably a good deal longer. Mummers' plays date back to at least the Middle Ages and, as with many 'Christian' traditions, may well have evolved from something that was going on long before then.

nothing changes ,its all about the christians represented by St George slaying the wicked infidel  and a doctor who possesses a magic  potion that has the ability to bring someone back after death , it was a regular event when I attended Demesne Road school in the 1950's we also had the sword dance ,   taught by Miss Larsen  and Mrs Griffiths  both sadly  long gone now    together with Manx country dancing where the visiting girls actually got to smack you across the face , those were the days , now its political correctness  gone mad , 

• Like 1

The NPM is giving this event some publicity with an interview with ex MHK Phil Gawne, who is playing a doctor in the street play. As a good doctor with lots of ‘cock a lory and bullshit’ as a potion, perhaps he can revive the decaying corpses of the Department of Infrastructure, and create a magic spell for the Liverpool Landing Stage, whereby it costs under £10million as opposed to the in excess of £70million.

19 hours ago, Barlow said:

At least the Spanish have some machismo and guts and chase and torment bulls and then stab them to death and eat them, the swetty socks do the same with their haggis, which may be not so big but they are vicious wee buggers. And all we have is a wren. A tiny harmless wren. Maybe we should chase Manx cats through the streets and stab and eat them and that

You are confusing two different mummer plays. Hunt the Wren is a St Stephens day event.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The NPM is giving this event some publicity with an interview with ex MHK Phil Gawne, who is playing a doctor in the street play. As a good doctor with lots of ‘cock a lory and bullshit’ as a potion, perhaps he can revive the decaying corpses of the Department of Infrastructure, and create a magic spell for the Liverpool Landing Stage, whereby it costs under £10million as opposed to the in excess of £70million.

Mr Gawne  had his finger in that Pie ,  thats for sure !     perhaps its time someone put him on the spot for a change , and a lot more skeletons in the closet  to come out ! prixam praxam with an eye cockalory ,

8 hours ago, John Wright said:

You are confusing two different mummer plays. Hunt the Wren is a St Stephens day event.

Confused? Absolutely not. I was flippantly bringing "this wren thing" into the mix.

(I've participated in both events, with gusto and aplomb)

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Omobono said:

together with Manx country dancing where the visiting girls actually got to smack you across the face , those were the days , 

Ah yes, Return the Blow I think that one was called. I enjoy explaining to younger folk, especially those from Across, how we used to be schooled in a dance celebrating domestic violence. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Yibble said:

Ah yes, Return the Blow I think that one was called. I enjoy explaining to younger folk, especially those from Across, how we used to be schooled in a dance celebrating domestic violence. 

Did all the schools have to dress up in itchy Steam packet jumpers for this or was it just mine?