Getting it wrong - again

Passing Time

So imagine how delighted local businesses on the island must be feeling at this moment in time. Continued uncertainty regards to COVID ensuring shops/pubs/cafes and restaurants all getting hit in the pocket. Out trot the government with a feeble offer of £9m in business support then pushing through approval to give away £30m to Liverpool. I had slightly higher than normal hopes that the new MHK's may just for once start thinking about looking after the IOM. Seems my hopes were set too high

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I was speaking to a few restaurant owners Friday night and tge amount of last minute cancellations that they'd had was unreal. I honestly felt for them

I doubt the TT is going ahead, I have heard a few whispers, and the mood music isn’t good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

So imagine how delighted local businesses on the island must be feeling at this moment in time. Continued uncertainty regards to COVID ensuring shops/pubs/cafes and restaurants all getting hit in the pocket. Out trot the government with a feeble offer of £9m in business support then pushing through approval to give away £30m to Liverpool. I had slightly higher than normal hopes that the new MHK's may just for once start thinking about looking after the IOM. Seems my hopes were set too high

Many small businesses have been thrown under a bus. Our voices are starting to get drowned out now too as government don’t want to hear the reality of it. They’ve been shit and they don’t really care either. Now they’re borrowing more money in the financial markets here to cover the tax losses that people like you and me going bust will create. So they don’t even need us anymore so we’ll be silenced and just written off as angry Covid casualties. 

16 minutes ago, Petefella said:

Many small businesses have been thrown under a bus. Our voices are starting to get drowned out now too as government don’t want to hear the reality of it. They’ve been shit and they don’t really care either. Now they’re borrowing more money in the financial markets here to cover the tax losses that people like you and me going bust will create. So they don’t even need us anymore so we’ll be silenced and just written off as angry Covid casualties. 

I have every sympathy and fully understand what you are going through. 

IOMG sadly care more for their civil servants than they do for businesses, tradespeople or anyone providing goods or services. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Having not done the sums, is £9m insufficient for an initial support package for the type of businesses affected by the latest issues? It is a short term measure and can be increased or decreased as required. People are cancelling parties and functions voluntarily, no decree has been handed down and that's how it should be. Nobody yet knows what amount of cash is needed to support anything just yet?

@2112 The whispers you are hearing are just rumours, they may be well meaning and come from a 'source' but they are still just rumours.    

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

Having not done the sums, is £9m insufficient for an initial support package for the type of businesses affected by the latest issues? It is a short term measure and can be increased or decreased as required. People are cancelling parties and functions voluntarily, no decree has been handed down and that's how it should be. Nobody yet knows what amount of cash is needed to support anything just yet?

@2112 The whispers you are hearing are just rumours, they may be well meaning and come from a 'source' but they are still just rumours.    

The rumours may well be rumours but they seem to be very loud rumours. Uncertainty isn’t going to help either.

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

People are cancelling parties and functions voluntarily, no decree has been handed down and that's how it should be. Nobody yet knows what amount of cash is needed to support anything just yet?

People are cancelling because government and the media has scared the life out of them about omicron. They can’t then turn round and say it’s got nothing to do with them when they’ve done 100% of the scaring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Petefella said:

People are cancelling because government and the media has scared the life out of them about omicron. They can’t then turn round and say it’s got nothing to do with them when they’ve done 100% of the scaring. 

I agree, they need to take responsibility for the messages they send out, but it's still probably too early to calculate what support is needed? 

12 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I agree, they need to take responsibility for the messages they send out, but it's still probably too early to calculate what support is needed? 

Max, we are still suffering from the last set of lockdowns...

ETA - £30m would have helped local businesses enormously. Helping out businesses that employ local staff who pay local taxes - that kind of thing

Edited by Passing Time
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Max, we are still suffering from the last set of lockdowns...

Sorry, I thought you were talking of the current issue. I thought they had sorted all that during the previous administration, I'm a bit out of the loop, although I know of businesses who received reasonable salary support. Surely one MHK who got elected on the back of her support for businesses during the first lockdown would be taking up the cudgel?

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Sorry, I thought you were talking of the current issue. I thought they had sorted all that during the previous administration, I'm a bit out of the loop, although I know of businesses who received reasonable salary support. Surely one MHK who got elected on the back of her support for businesses during the first lockdown would be taking up the cudgel?

If you were a hotel/boarding house/holiday cottages or any associated tourist side then you were more than well looked after. As an example, at the start of the last lockdown the government suggested that people should not go out unless essential and as a responsible business we closed immediately and suffered a two grand loss in takings. The government magnanimously gave us £250 for our losses.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Petefella said:

The IOMG have been pretty sensible in their messaging this time: carry on as normal, but be careful.

The scaremongering has largely come from the adjacent island.

I understand why companies were cancelling Christmas dos, and why people don't want to go to pubs and restaurants just before Christmas in case they catch the lurgy. But that messaging hasn't come from Government this time. It's not a repeat of Quayle's shambolic "stay at home, but we're not forcing you" speech in Feb.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2