ManxTaxPayer

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You don’t have to worry about such things when using the “Dial a ride” service. It’s ace

problem is some people turn in front of you and fail to give any signal , thats why some motorists are over cautious at roundabouts , the Police should have a camera at the quarter bridge ,and would be appalled at the  excessive speed  downright rudeness ,and   aggression  of some drivers , the Channel Islands seem to have it right ,when at junctions and roundabouts the drivers take their turn , and the traffic flows really  well 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Omobono said:

problem is some people turn in front of you and fail to give any signal , thats why some motorists are over cautious at roundabouts 

Is it extra cautious though, would you trust an indicator or lack of it at any other junction? It's just what happens sometimes, vehicles are driven by humans who are prone to make mistakes. A good driver would take this into account. 

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s a bit like the roundel situation. They create literally mental stuff that has no basis in Highway Law and so they then have to write their own Highway Code rules to accommodate the mental stuff they dream up. It’s actually quite worrying that they’re that out of control in trying to justify their own madness. 

But the roundels work and there's nothing wrong with the idea. Remember Ballacraine traffic lights getting struck by lightning a few years ago and being off for quite a while. The junction was much more efficient and safer because nobody had the right of was so everyone was being cautious.

Barrelling through a junction because you have the right of way is equally if not more dangerous than someone not indicating.

• Thanks 1

Remember Ballacraine traffic lights getting struck by lightning a few years ago and being off for quite a while. The junction was much more efficient and safer because nobody had the right of was so everyone was being cautious.

I lived for a while in Turin. Every time it rained, all the traffic lights stopped working. Everyone then drove straight into the middle of the junction - instant traffic jam. Then they all put one hand on the car horn, and used the other hand to gesticulate at nearby drivers. It rather surprised me, because even when the lights were working they drove through red lights anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

I lived for a while in Turin. Every time it rained, all the traffic lights stopped working. Everyone then drove straight into the middle of the junction - instant traffic jam.

Did Michael Caine always arrive in a DB4 convertible threatening to burn down all the ice cream parlours in the UK every time these traffic jams happened as well? 

Edited by Paulos The Great
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s a bit like the roundel situation. They create literally mental stuff that has no basis in Highway Law and so they then have to write their own Highway Code rules to accommodate the mental stuff they dream up. It’s actually quite worrying that they’re that out of control in trying to justify their own madness. 

But the roundels are  working Highway Law or Highway Code notwithstanding.

I would go so far as to say that drivers are faced with an unfamiliar situation which requires them to pay extra attention.

People driving on the road would rather avoid having an accident so drive accordingly.

If the odd idiot decides to drive like a prat and cause an accident there are sufficient provisions in law to deal with them.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Second para added
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scipio said:

Why should the Isle Of Man copy the UK?

Because, as Derek will likely back me up, the islands "manxifying" of properly thought out Laws by our CS usually mess them up.

You may be a proud manx person but you need to face reality in some things.

If the island had been isolated over the last 100 years it would be electricity and internet/ computer  free and therefore backward.

We need outside intelligence to make things work in the 21st century

On 12/31/2021 at 10:52 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

But the roundels are  working Highway Law or Highway Code notwithstanding.

I would go so far as to say that drivers are faced with an unfamiliar situation which requires them to pay extra attention.

People driving on the road would rather avoid having an accident so drive accordingly.

If the odd idiot decides to drive like a prat and cause an accident there are sufficient provisions in law to deal with them.

Its the dead pedestrians or maybe worse, horribly mangled, and life long wheelchair bound, that I feel for when the inevitable happens.

And it will..................

• Like 2

Will the Island copy the UK in granting B+E (trailer) licenses to everyone?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-for-towing-a-trailer-or-caravan-with-a-car-from-autumn-2021

They recently changed the rules, so that anyone can tow a trailer up to 3.5t, not necessarily a good idea but.

Equally, there is an interesting way to get around having a UK restricted motorcycle license. By swapping your A2 (47bhp limited) license to a Manx one, your restriction is automatically lifted as you get granted a full A.

5 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Will the Island copy the UK in granting B+E (trailer) licenses to everyone?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-for-towing-a-trailer-or-caravan-with-a-car-from-autumn-2021

They recently changed the rules, so that anyone can tow a trailer up to 3.5t, not necessarily a good idea but.

Equally, there is an interesting way to get around having a UK restricted motorcycle license. By swapping your A2 (47bhp limited) license to a Manx one, your restriction is automatically lifted as you get granted a full A.

They don’t seem to check on people towing trailers to see if they have the additional category anyway, have you ever known someone to be prosecuted? it’s extremely rare to see them stick to 40mph for starters. I’ve seen a few mini diggers for example being transported at 50+ often by some rather overloaded looking vans (very soggy looking suspension with tow bar nearly on the floor) and often wonder what knowledge the driver actually has of their load.

Infact there is one vehicle that sticks to it religiously, a DOI pickup that tows round a fuel bowser, I’ve been stuck behind it more times than I care to remember going 30-35mph, but they almost always pull up and let people overtake so that one sticks in my mind.