The (pie and) gravy train gets stuck

James Blonde

22 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Competing with private taxis is wrong.

It doesn't matter how many times you spout this line, Demand Responsive Transport isn't competing with taxis. It isn't a taxi service, it's a bus service that only runs when there are enough people going in the same direction to justify it.

As for having spare drivers lying around, if they're on call as spare then they're getting paid. If a bus breaks down a fitter can drive it. I'm not sure about the rules here, but in the UK fitters can't carry passengers.

I'm surprised BV didn't use the spare driver at Banks Circus to run out in a minibus, but to be honest a taxi wouldn't be any more expensive.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:24 AM, James Blonde said:

The pie and mash choo choo got stuck at Santon last night due to a fallen tree.

It appears they called a local minibus company to return some of the passengers back to Douglas. 

It's good to know the large fleet of very expensive minibuses owned by the same operation are being put to good use! 

At least the Cabbage diesel was able to go and pick up the carriages... oh no it didn't. 

The expensive farce continues! 

Pathetic post. Tree falls down, blocking railway, train deals with it by arranging for all passengers to be returned via alternative transport. What a shocker 🙄

Long live the railways. Lovely to see them being utilised in the winter 👌

Edited by Raffles
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

I'm surprised BV didn't use the spare driver at Banks Circus to run out in a minibus, but to be honest a taxi wouldn't be any more expensive.

If the train was stopped at Santon Station, surely the real query is why they just didn't put the passengers on the next service bus that came along.  Though you also can't help wondering just how many passengers these dining cars are carrying if they can fit them all in a minibus and whether it justifies the running cost of the service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raffles said:

Pathetic post. Tree falls down, blocking railway, train deals with it by arranging for all passengers to be returned via alternative transport. What a shocker 🙄

Long live the railways. Lovely to see them being utilised in the winter 👌

Congratulations! You completely missed the point. Better luck next time pal! 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Omobono said:

be interesting to see the balance sheet for the train trips over the past 2 weeks  and exactly who ,if anybody made a profit ?  you can hardly call it an essential service 

The dining car events are normally very well supported & a few I’ve been on were full, numbers at present are probably been impacted by Covid 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Not too dissimilar to Bus Vannin offering services basically for nothing then claiming that they’re a success as no true P & L exists.

Depends how you define success, doesn't it. We know what BV costs to operate, it makes a loss, none of this is secret. Libraries lose money too. So does MNH.

Same with the railways, we know overall the railways lose money, about £2m a year. Give it to a charity and, hey presto, they need £2m a year in grants to keep running.

The dining trains tend to make money though, they're popular.

What a miserable life you must lead if the only way of measuring success is the P&L account.

7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:
11 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

What a miserable life you must lead if the only way of measuring success is the P&L account.

I think you’ll find that’s how a successful business is defined in the real world.

As I said, what a miserable life you must lead if the only way of measuring success is the P&L account. Not everything in life is a business.

PS Uber, who've never made a profit, say hi.

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

Whereas the investors into Bus Vannin and the DOI (us taxpayers) made less than nothing on their subsidy of loss making services. And will always remain disappointed.

I am told that BV make a profit on the Douglas-Airport/Castletown route, and on Douglas-Peel. The rest is loss making. Always has been. Always will be. 

Some services cost more to run than they make in revenue. Those services have value in other ways- reducing car journeys, allowing isolated people to travel- which don't show on a P&L account.

What a sad outlook on life you must have.