What kind of island do Manx people want?

Max Power

10 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Isn't the head counts here somewhere around 9500 working for Government of which around 2200 are in Civil Service . Population of around 85k . On that note whats happened to the census results . As said by many on here at the time its not going to be very accurate even if we are going to get them announced .    

I understand there’s been some issues collating the census results probably due to the crap way it was issued/handled. Results should be available February time I believe but delays will probably be blamed on Covid 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Isn't the head counts here somewhere around 9500 working for Government of which around 2200 are in Civil Service . Population of around 85k . On that note whats happened to the census results . As said by many on here at the time its not going to be very accurate even if we are going to get them announced . 

The best information came in an answer to Julie Edge last year.  It showed a headcount (ie number of employees not FTE) of 7935, up from 7520 on 2106-17.

Front line staff numbers seem pretty fixed - for example teachers stay in the range 990 to 1000 - and some 'manual and craft' numbers are down, though this is complicated by possible transfers between Departments and privatisations.  Most of the increase seems to be in civil servants.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The best information came in an answer to Julie Edge last year.  It showed a headcount (ie number of employees not FTE) of 7935, up from 7520 on 2106-17.

Front line staff numbers seem pretty fixed - for example teachers stay in the range 990 to 1000 - and some 'manual and craft' numbers are down, though this is complicated by possible transfers between Departments and privatisations.  Most of the increase seems to be in civil servants.

Massive growth in cabinet office & enterprise I would suggest, Dan Davies was tasked with plan to reduce headcount, it went up 400 , any comebacks? No he got promoted to CEO Home Affairs!!’

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Massive growth in cabinet office & enterprise I would suggest, Dan Davies was tasked with plan to reduce headcount, it went up 400 , any comebacks? No he got promoted to CEO Home Affairs!!’

COMIN and Ms Edge are on the case though....maybe

Screenshot_20210903-120924_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like the island to be zoned. 

• Douglas should be the UK's architypal craptown with a Greggs, KFC, Nandos, Cineworld and all the fast fashion shops that the girls love.
  • Ramsey should be a mini-Douglas but have a marina and a concert location for big events
  • Port Erin beachy things and more investment in all the nice prom stuff so it can handle 100x the visitors
  • Peel should be heritage with hits lovely little streets, improve its services by getting shut of the crap pubs and have lots of nice restaurants etc. and have a place to watch the sunset where there is a bar and food and it doesnt frigging close at 1pm on Sunday.

And a University and a Race Track not for F1 just a decent one for people to race cars and bikes on and veldrome to shut the moaning cyclists up.

The motto should be "Non ut crap quod erat" (Not as crap as it was)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, opusManx said:

I can't comment as to whether your ideas are appropriate as I don't know the place. But that all sounds reasonable. My bias towards motorsports and bicycles biases me in favour.

As an outsider, all I can say is having a vision and planning according to it is infinitely preferable to letting the money determine where things go in an ad hoc fashion. Urban sprawl was allowed in Toronto and its suburbs without concurrent consideration of existing and required infrastructure needs. So now it has an irreversible mismatch between housing and transport infrastructure. There are simply too many people for the existing roadways and no place to put more. Driving in Toronto is a nightmare. It is one of the main reasons I wish to leave the city.

Visited Toronto 4 years ago and the drive out to relatives in Whitby (even mid-afternoons) was bonkers.  I can well understand your desire to leave all that behind.