When a bus shelter isn't good enough (former shopkeeper kicks off down South)

Manx Bean

4 minutes ago, Yibble said:

What was wrong with the old bus shelters?

Anyway, shouldn't we be aspiring to medievel bus shelters there? Parhaps a nice wattle & daub job?

Longworth will never agree to medieval buses to go with them though

The colour scheme of the standard bus shelter - green, yellow and rust - seems to me to be a rather vomit-inducing combination.
The artistes responsible for that great art installation, Douglas Promenade, also recognise that GYR does not fit well with their scheme of pink, cyan and purple. Their solution - paint it black.

As someone with a slim, svelte, ass, sitting on a metal seat in the midst of winter I find rather uncomfortable. There are more ass-friendly materials available.

The seats are very narrow and angled downwards. I once carelessly put my rucksack on the seat alongside me - naturally  it fell off and landed in a puddle. The seats are designed this way to discourage the drunks and drug addicts from sleeping on them.

It does surprise me that there are people in the gov. talking about making the IoM attractive for tourists, but then make most bus shelters an advert for a supposed drink-drug problem here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yibble said:

What was wrong with the old bus shelters?

That's the real question isn't it?  Rather than just give something a lick of paint, Longworth would rather buy something new and install it at great expense.  One of them (on the Co-op side) was removed for the improvements for disabled access (what better way to treat the disabled than leaving them without shelter in the middle of Winter) but the other one wasn't affected.  But as ever, why maintain something when you can spend much more on something new?

Brown is (as usual) waking up to something too late and then complaining about the wrong thing, though it wouldn't surprise me if there were planning violations as the DoI thinks planning only applies to other people.

• Like 2

The old bus shelters were trashed, minging cracked fibreglass. They needed replacing. And putting that little platform out for the buses going further south made sense for now.

Anyone know what happened to the planning app for the buildings being done up further down? Can't remember the name of the building, where the Japanese is. The planning asked to make the road one way but I've not heard much since it was raised last year.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Anyone know what happened to the planning app for the buildings being done up further down? Can't remember the name of the building, where the Japanese is. The planning asked to make the road one way but I've not heard much since it was raised last year.

Derby House - the planning applications seem to have gone through in September.  The one way thing wasn't related to the planning directly but to the erection of scaffolding to do re-pointing etc.  But it seemed a bit over the top as it was suggested making it one way for a full year and that bit's effectively one way anyway.  Not heard any more (though I've heard they have been having some problems with the state of the buildings).

• Like 1

I think he's got a point. While I don't necessarily agree they should be Victorian, I do think some effort should have been made to make them either fit in or stand out.

The ones they are fitting are just functional and fitting them in a conservation area is taking the piss. They should at the very least be of some architectural note. They could have been locally made and designed - perhaps by residents or school children.

These are typical of Longworth's arrogant attitude.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bonatti said:

And yet on Douglas prom, outside the Sefton cultural quarter, they have placed a sort of Victorian'ish looking bus shelter amongst all the modern Chinese granite and stainless steel LED lighting. 

It's almost like they haven't got a scooby doo.  

What do you mean 'almost'? 🤣

• Haha 4