When a bus shelter isn't good enough (former shopkeeper kicks off down South)

Manx Bean

Like, completely wrong.

I don't know how they could get it that wrong. It's hopeless.

Here's a quote from the commissioners about the situation

The Commissioners have been supportive of the one-way which was determined to be a preferable option to the temporary closure of Castle Street. The applicant is restoring a registered building in the historic centre of the Town and this significant investment continues to have the full support of the Commissioners.

Throughout this process, which commenced in January 2020, the Town has been subject to obstructive behaviour and veiled threats from the Public Transport Division, that if it supported the one way restriction, Bus Vannin would cease to serve Castletown in its entirety.

Read that manx radio, you stupid fucks.

This is the article linked above in case they do read it and change the article to actual reality.

image.thumb.png.b9ba7373ac9800253edfe84b0d3f7a9a.png

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Would it not have been easier and certainly cheaper to just have the southbound buses loop round from the bypass to victoria road. Might have taken 5minutes more

The way the bus timetable works is that there isn’t that extra five minutes in the system. The bus goes to Port Erin then returns to Douglas and Onchan and the Prom is a pinch point. And it’s cumulative five minutes on the first journey becomes 10 minutes on the second and so on. 

As I understand it the alternatives would be running fewer buses an hour (which would require double deckers at some times that they don’t have). A change that would impact every bus user from Onchan to Port Erin. Or this.  

It’s not ideal but it seems to me that it’s the one that causes the least inconvenience to the majority. 

Also this isn’t a problem of Bus Vannin or bus users making. Maybe Castletown Commissioners need to look closer to home. 

Edited by Declan

56 minutes ago, Declan said:

The way the bus timetable works is that there isn’t that extra five minutes in the system. The bus goes to Port Erin then returns to Douglas and Onchan and the Prom is a pinch point. And it’s cumulative five minutes on the first journey becomes 10 minutes on the second and so on. 

As I understand it the alternatives would be running fewer buses an hour (which would require double deckers at some times that they don’t have). A change that would impact every bus user from Onchan to Port Erin. Or this.  

It’s not ideal but it seems to me that it’s the one that causes the least inconvenience to the majority. 

Also this isn’t a problem of Bus Vannin or bus users making. Maybe Castletown Commissioners need to look closer to home. 

What about the 5 to 9 minutes dwell time at Lord St going South and 9 to 11 minutes dwell time at Villiers going North?.

Do they have spare fully accessible low floor minibuses?.

I imagine they will have to be available from early morning until the night owl services pass through too.

Edited by ellanvannin2010

17 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

So what about the 5 to 9 minutes dwell time at Lord St going South and 9 to 11 minutes dwell time at Villiers going North?.

My experience recently has been the bus South arrives at Lord Street a little late because of delays on the Prom, spends at least five minutes loading passengers before leaving. 

I imagine they need wiggle room though for delays along the route, driver change overs.  You’d have to ask them whether the time at the Villiers could eat up the extra delay. Still seems to cut it fine. 

A year to renovate the Police Station!!! It would only take a month to knock it down! Then everything back to normal or at least, as normal as Castletown is ever going to be?

OK. in less cynical mode, could not the back and internals be addressed without a road restriction and then a much shorter part closure of the main road? Could not  the Bus timetable be altered to accommodate, they seem to have revised their timetable many times in the last few years, what is the problem now???

Back in cynical mode, if Castletown think that the rejuvenated Police Station is going to put them on the map of World tourist destinations.................. think again!!!

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

My experience recently has been the bus South arrives at Lord Street a little late because of delays on the Prom, spends at least five minutes loading passengers before leaving. 

I imagine they need wiggle room though for delays along the route, driver change overs.  You’d have to ask them whether the time at the Villiers could eat up the extra delay. Still seems to cut it fine. 

A solution could be to shut the section by the works to all traffic except buses controlled by traffic lights.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

A solution could be to shut the section by the works to all traffic except buses controlled by traffic lights.

That sounds better. Would it need to be manually operated? Cost bourne by developer.