When a bus shelter isn't good enough (former shopkeeper kicks off down South)

Manx Bean

1 minute ago, Declan said:

That sounds better. Would it need to be manually operated? Cost bourne by developer. 

Ideally not manual, not sure if the ticket machines could be used to turn the lights green or just driver activated with a card.

You would need cameras to catch the car/van  drivers who don't want to obey I imagine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

OK. in less cynical mode, could not the back and internals be addressed without a road restriction and then a much shorter part closure of the main road? Could not  the Bus timetable be altered to accommodate, they seem to have revised their timetable many times in the last few years, what is the problem now?

I think it’s they’re not happy with what the potential changes would be…

Lack of wiggle room in current timetable to accommodate looping. 

Lack of double deckers to provide a fewer buses per hour timetable at peak times. 

Desire not to lengthen journey times for Passengers going South. 

Desire not to reduce frequency for all passengers. 

Also reducing frequency would mean either Colby or the Shore Road would only have a bus an hour. 

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Does anyone seriously expect a Bus to run within 5 mins of schedule?

If a Bus is 5mins late do people go on facebook and moan..................... Oh, maybe............

But it’s 5 minutes on every trip. So the second time the bus goes through the loop it’s 10 minutes behind and so on. 

It’s the increased overall journey time that’s the main issue here. 

But the 'Loop' is a consequence of the schedule, it may be fine when the routs are being run in an expected/ anticipated manner but in these unusual circumstances, there has to be some variance to be overcome??? Most importantly, BV to find a solution to, what is a temporary, situation? ( Even though a year is not exactly temporary)????

Of course, a hike in tax rates to 20/40% would provide the funds to pay our way out of situation such as these?

If I were an MHK I would be reluctant to throw money at Castletown until it is obvious that it is coming out of its decline, I don't think MNH projects are going to provide that year round recovery.

Are c'town comms offering rate rebates for new business? Are they doing any thing other than saying that there should be be more investment in C'Town?

I've been to C'Town three times  in the last few months, twice for a cheese pasty from Mrs B's? So no further need to go there??

Edited by Kopek

23 minutes ago, Kopek said:

If I were an MHK I would be reluctant to throw money at Castletown until it is obvious that it is coming out of its decline, I don't think MNH projects are going to provide that year round recovery.

Question, of a genuine nature; are there any Towns on the Island that aren't "in decline" in one way or another? New developments on outskirts and greenfields notwithstanding?

• Like 1

Is Longworth still pissed off that they wouldn't let him make Castletown one-way so that bendy-buses could be used?

It won't take too long to generate a new bus timetable - surlely they have computers to do that. It seems to me they frequently have to issue an amendment shortly after a new release anyway.

And a year to renovate that building? In a year I could take it apart brick by brick and put it back together brick by brick - well, if I was a couple of years younger and had a few Manx Forumers acting as managers.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Is Longworth still pissed off that they wouldn't let him make Castletown one-way so that bendy-buses could be used?

It won't take too long to generate a new bus timetable - surlely they have computers to do that. It seems to me they frequently have to issue an amendment shortly after a new release anyway.

And a year to renovate that building? In a year I could take it apart brick by brick and put it back together brick by brick - well, if I was a couple of years younger and had a few Manx Forumers acting as managers.

I don’t think it’s the hassle of producing a new timetable but the effect of what those changes would be. 

They’ve adjudged this to be the one that causes least inconvenience Or inconveniences the least number of people anyway. 

18 hours ago, Declan said:

But it’s 5 minutes on every trip. So the second time the bus goes through the loop it’s 10 minutes behind and so on. 

It’s the increased overall journey time that’s the main issue here. 

Looks like they are going to do the loop now, shuttle abandoned for time being.

Edited by ellanvannin2010

Excellent. 

Now they can take the south 'pontoon' out, and scrap that shelter on that side and make those spaces disabled parking only. With traffic one way it makes it easier and safer to cross onto the square when that is shut to parking very soon.

• Like 1