IOM poverty

Paulos The Great

The Treasury has a Liable Relatives Section whose brief is to pursue absent or non-contributing parents for their dues. I'd imagine though that in many cases when they catch up with said, they find that they've nothing much that they actually can contribute, it can often be settled for around a tenner a week.

I've had the radio on at work today, 3FM are now backing an appeal for donations to a local Foodbank too - "As a lot more people are starting to rely on it"....(q/unq).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Probably correct & similar to someone on benefits working some hours to get extra money & losing part of benefits so it’s not worthwhile working.

I did want to emphasise that my general comments do not relate to this particular young lady in Jurby whose circumstances obviously I am not privy to

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Absent parents are not chased up for support and one would need to take them to court (very costly and time consuming) to pursue it.

Benefits will make up most of the loss, but an agency like the CSA is long overdue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Raffles said:

Absent parents are not chased up for support and one would need to take them to court (very costly and time consuming) to pursue it.

Benefits will make up most of the loss, but an agency like the CSA is long overdue. 

Even if it cost more than it brings in that’s no reason not do it. 

Sometimes principles override economics.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Banker said:

We need to consider increasing taxes eg raise NI so higher earners pay more, bring in health tax like UK to find more support 

I don't think raising NI does make higher earners pay more. Isn't it capped at £40 grand ish or something so you don't pay any more if you earn more than that. Also company directors use swerves to pay the bare minimum. It's basically a tax on employment, not income. Why do you think the Tory's have chosen to raise it.

I think it would be more to the point to base income tax on what it costs to provide public services. Rather than what it takes to make rich businesses and individuals even richer.

• Like 2

I think the young lady in question should put in for a house swap or move as she is not going to find employment in Jurby, I am assuming she has tried and with no transport she should move to somewhere more accessible to any possible workplaces.   Other single mothers have to manage and they do I doubt they find it easy but some personal effort has to be made to improve an individual’s situation depending on benefits and charity is not a good way to live for a healthy young person.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I think the young lady in question should put in for a house swap or move as she is not going to find employment in Jurby, I am assuming she has tried and with no transport she should move to somewhere more accessible to any possible workplaces.   Other single mothers have to manage and they do I doubt they find it easy but some personal effort has to be made to improve an individual’s situation depending on benefits and charity is not a good way to live for a healthy young person.

Surely she must have known what Jurby was like (I’m not saying it’s a dump!) before she moved there? Didn’t Longworth set up the minibus service to specifically cater for the remote areas of high included Jurby? 

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Surely she must have known what Jurby was like (I’m not saying it’s a dump!) before she moved there? Didn’t Longworth set up the minibus service to specifically cater for the remote areas of high included Jurby? 

Actually the Connect Villages services was supposed to be to replace the existing buses to Jurby.  The problem was that it wasn't as reliable because of the way they pick people up - it can't operate to a timetable.  So it makes it difficult if you want to get to work for a fixed time.  They reinstated some service buses, but not as many as before I think.

Presumably she moved to Jurby because it was the only place she was offered by the DoI.  

• Like 2

My honest opinion is that the GMP would accept higher taxes , NI etc but only if they can see a concerted effort to rein in the overspends and waste in Government Departments. Its very sad that a persons ability to care for her child and put food etc on the table should be put up against incompetence but in my honest view thats what it amounts too.    

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Jurby needs a scheduled bus service FFS. The amount of social housing up there, not to mention the prison, it's madness not to.

That was part of my point. What’s the point of needing job and making someone live in Jurby? Unless you’ve got your own car it’s hopeless as you can’t get anywhere regularly to hold a job down. Same as Foxdale. There is no joined up thinking about anything. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Paulos The Great said:

That was part of my point. What’s the point of needing job and making someone live in Jurby? Unless you’ve got your own car it’s hopeless as you can’t get anywhere regularly to hold a job down. Same as Foxdale. There is no joined up thinking about anything. 

Exactly! Apart from anything else we're supposed to be encouraging people out of their polluting cars. Surely reliable, affordable public transport would be a much better way to do this than subsidising the fuel and road tax of a wealthy few who can afford an electric car.

• Like 5

I have seen everything now, Bernie Moffatt under his Celtic League, again slamming Tynpotwald and the Manx Government, but in his ‘article’ posted within the IOMNP Facebook page, he praises the authorities in the Gaza Strip, as doing a better job of supporting needs than the Manx Government. Quite frankly if he so full of praise, why doesn’t he go and live there, he could bore them to death. Perhaps he is going to make constructive comments to the poverty committee, ones which cost little to implement or perhaps he wants £500 per week living expenses and housing costs paid additionally?