IOM poverty

Paulos The Great

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

A leg up rather than a handout - some practical help, advice and support. Hope your well in the mend. 

Totally , I never wanted something for nothing but it was so hard on initially £85 weekly . That opening after my health had improved enough to be able to do a bit helped my mental health too , which had plummeted big time , made the difference and helped me to have food on my plate and pay my rates etc and get on top of my finances again. In a good place now thankfully and quite proud that I came through it all . And thank you 😊

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

[...]  What helped me was permitted work which meant I could retain my incapacity for a period and earn up to £150 a week on top of it. 

Even though that was 15 years ago, the limit is now only 16 hours at minimum wage (currently £8.25) so £132.  It's also limited to 52 weeks unless you are effectively working for the government, otherwise it's £30.

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Even though that was 15 years ago, the limit is now only 16 hours at minimum wage (currently £8.25) so £132.  It's also limited to 52 weeks unless you are effectively working for the government, otherwise it's £30.

My figures are simplistic and its actually a average over a month from memory . I actually had to have days off and TTweek etc due to access issues . Whatever it was I was always inside the limit. And the 52 weeks in not mandatory as they extended mine for sure .  

Edited by Numbnuts

13 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I know people here on the Island who right now are choosing whether to buy food or put the gas central heating on. Houses with only gas heating and water and no fires. It’s not all rosy out there on benefits for the majority no matter how much others protest that it is. 

Rox

I don’t think many are protesting that it’s all rosy on benefits. Some ignorant people certainly but the majority think “ there but for the Grace of God “ as in thinking about, say those with disabilities.

No doubt there are a few that abuse the system but better that than those worthy of help being denied.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

My figures are simplistic and its actually a average over a month from memory . I actually had to have days off and TTweek etc due to access issues . Whatever it was I was always inside the limit. And the 52 weeks in not mandatory as they extended mine for sure .  

I wasn't doubting you, just pointing out that they've made it more restricted since you were able to benefit from it.  I know some people who benefited, but then had to stop completely and it made things harder for them - not least because of the value of contact that the work gave them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Rox

I don’t think many are protesting that it’s all rosy on benefits. Some ignorant people certainly but the majority think “ there but for the Grace of God “ as in thinking about, say those with disabilities

I’ve just re read my post and realised that my bit about disabilities may have come across as a bit crass.

Apologies if it did. No offence intended.

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You can’t hypothecate every element of the tax take for every bit of public spending. 
Priorities and particular needs are ever changing.

No one suggested you could but you can certainly ring fence one tax if you wished eg a H&SC tax for health & social care with the latter becoming more of ticking Bomb every year

52 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Rox

I don’t think many are protesting that it’s all rosy on benefits. Some ignorant people certainly but the majority think “ there but for the Grace of God “ as in thinking about, say those with disabilities.

No doubt there are a few that abuse the system but better that than those worthy of help being denied.

Spot on. The amount of benefits fraud is absolutely tiny, and for a lot of people benefits are literally life-saving.

Almost everyone is much closer to being homeless than to being a millionaire. A few months of bad luck would put many of us in incredibly dire straits.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

The latest on the NPM today is sofa surfing students now known as ‘bed poverty’. According to Ballakermeen some students don’t have homes. I’m sorry, what is going on? If this is happening why? Why aren’t the schools taking a stand, liaising with social services and at the very least making provision for the child to be taken into care. At least they have a roof over their heads, food and warmth, and help to turn their lives around. What’s astounding so far, if there has been issue, why haven’t our politicos who have worked at schools in Douglas, are aware of the situation? Or perhaps it’s a case of out of sight out of mind, and I’ve got my own issues to deal with? 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 1:14 PM, 2112 said:

The latest on the NPM today is sofa surfing students now known as ‘bed poverty’. According to Ballakermeen some students don’t have homes. I’m sorry, what is going on? If this is happening why? Why aren’t the schools taking a stand, liaising with social services and at the very least making provision for the child to be taken into care. At least they have a roof over their heads, food and warmth, and help to turn their lives around. What’s astounding so far, if there has been issue, why haven’t our politicos who have worked at schools in Douglas, are aware of the situation? Or perhaps it’s a case of out of sight out of mind, and I’ve got my own issues to deal with? 

You need to listen to the sound clip that accompanied the Manx Radio story to find out what is being discussed here.  This is about those students of 16 or over (the interview is with the Director of Sixth Form) and have somehow lost parental support.  Social services don't seem to be interested in children once they are over 16 unless they're in care already.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

You need to listen to the sound clip that accompanied the Manx Radio story to find out what is being discussed here.  This is about those students of 16 or over (the interview is with the Director of Sixth Form) and have somehow lost parental support.  Social services don't seem to be interested in children once they are over 16 unless they're in care already.

At what age are children released from care?  Something tells me it is 17.  No idea what provision is made for them at that age, but I know I would not have been happy with my own two making their own way at that age.