IOM poverty

Paulos The Great

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

At what age are children released from care?  Something tells me it is 17.  No idea what provision is made for them at that age, but I know I would not have been happy with my own two making their own way at that age.  

Very little, unfortunately. Add mental health issues into the mix, as is often the case, and you'll see why schools have concerns. They are frequently the only agency helping the young person.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, manxman34 said:

Very little, unfortunately. Add mental health issues into the mix, as is often the case, and you'll see why schools have concerns. They are frequently the only agency helping the young person.

Since this article was aired on the NPM very little mentioned, especially on the usual Facebook sites, and amongst the big noises. The politicos are quiet too, especially the former Childrens Commissoner. If this age group is in 6th Form it is highly likely that they will be endeavouring to go on to university, or enter the workplace. Therefore being highly productive members of society. 

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

At what age are children released from care?  Something tells me it is 17.  No idea what provision is made for them at that age, but I know I would not have been happy with my own two making their own way at that age.  

Nominally it's 18, unless a Court orders an earlier release, but they don't provide care if a child in trouble is already 16 or older and by all accounts will often try to wriggle out of giving help even when they're supposed to.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

. If this age group is in 6th Form it is highly likely that they will be endeavouring to go on to university, or enter the workplace. Therefore being highly productive members of society. 

You would like to think so, but of that there is no guarantee.

Unfortunately there is a number of graduates churned out by the university system who think that because they have a degree the world owes them a living. 
A long way from the highly productive members of society that you assume them to be.

There are many numbers of schoolchildren who finish their formal education at “O” levels (or whatever they call them these days) who enter the workplace at that time, and go on to be very valuable members of society.

Judge people by who they are and the contribution they make not  by what academic qualifications they may have attained

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You would like to think so, but of that there is no guarantee.

Unfortunately there is a number of graduates churned out by the university system who think that because they have a degree the world owes them a living. 
A long way from the highly productive members of society that you assume them to be.

There are many numbers of schoolchildren who finish their formal education at “O” levels (or whatever they call them these days) who enter the workplace at that time, and go on to be very valuable members of society.

Judge people by who they are and the contribution they make not  by what academic qualifications they may have attained

Your reference to 'O' levels shows how up to date your knowledge is, as does your silly comment about useless degrees. Name five of these people who think the world owes them a living.  Do you know how much it costs to put a child through uni, even with government paying some of the fees? The majority of children do not finish education at 16, and have not done so for a number of years. Many have difficulty in finding suitable courses and training, and the apprenticeship situation is dire. 30 year old Thatcherite rhetoric does not advance the debate, nor does it help our young people to become decent, valued and contributing members of society.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, manxman34 said:

Your reference to 'O' levels shows how up to date your knowledge is, as does your silly comment about useless degrees. Name five of these people who think the world owes them a living.  Do you know how much it costs to put a child through uni, even with government paying some of the fees? The majority of children do not finish education at 16, and have not done so for a number of years. Many have difficulty in finding suitable courses and training, and the apprenticeship situation is dire. 30 year old Thatcherite rhetoric does not advance the debate, nor does it help our young people to become decent, valued and contributing members of society.

What should be encouraged is students who wish to go to University, is studying a ‘useful’ course, one which is practical and relevant, and would be beneficial to the island, if returning. There are many going on ‘mickey mouse’ courses. 

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

What should be encouraged is students who wish to go to University, is studying a ‘useful’ course, one which is practical and relevant, and would be beneficial to the island, if returning. There are many going on ‘mickey mouse’ courses. 

And who decides on that exactly?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I didn’t say I was advocating censorship of what courses people take. I said perhaps young people should be encouraged to take courses of areas which may be useful to the island. 

Sure, but who decides what's useful? Most university courses are useful, even the ones that aren't directly useful, in teaching young adults to think about problems properly. For direct usefulness, I can't think of anyone qualified to assess that - particularly somewhere small like the Island where you have to consider what industries are over/understaffed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Sure, but who decides what's useful? Most university courses are useful, even the ones that aren't directly useful, in teaching young adults to think about problems properly. For direct usefulness, I can't think of anyone qualified to assess that - particularly somewhere small like the Island where you have to consider what industries are over/understaffed.

There are some courses which to some are fine in itself, if you come from a middle class background or a trust fund kid, have plenty of money and don’t need to worry about getting a job. For example, Theatre and Drama, American Studies, Medieval History, and sorry …………….., Women Studies. I would say that gaining a Nursing Degree would be a useful qualification, along with Podiatry and Physiotherapy. I would say that I’m sure that Manx educated and supported qualified Aneathetists would be made most welcome. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, 2112 said:

There are some courses which to some are fine in itself, if you come from a middle class background or a trust fund kid, have plenty of money and don’t need to worry about getting a job. For example, Theatre and Drama, American Studies, Medieval History, and sorry …………….., Women Studies. I would say that gaining a Nursing Degree would be a useful qualification, along with Podiatry and Physiotherapy. I would say that I’m sure that Manx educated and supported qualified Aneathetists would be made most welcome. 

There are jobs in theatre (even locally), and historian is very much a valid job. I don't think it's particularly sensible to try to put values on some courses over others, particularly when someone is likely to perform best in a degree (and role thereafter) that they actually enjoy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

There are jobs in theatre (even locally), and historian is very much a valid job. I don't think it's particularly sensible to try to put values on some courses over others, particularly when someone is likely to perform best in a degree (and role thereafter) that they actually enjoy.

Some would say that these are non jobs or not vital for taxpayer funding. Personally I think that healthcare is desperate on the island, and students that choose to study for degrees should be encouraged and recruited upon their return upon qualification. Though in some cases I agree with the argument that a unqualified or non graduate could easily do a good job in a demanding role.

• Like 1

Just now, 2112 said:

Some would say that these are non jobs or not vital for taxpayer funding. Personally I think that healthcare is desperate on the island, and students that choose to study for degrees should be encouraged and recruited upon their return upon qualification. Though in some cases I agree with the argument that a unqualified or non graduate could easily do a good job in a demanding role.

Try living in a world without any art or history and then tell me they're not vital!

Healthcare is desperate, but perhaps we should solve that by adding funding, not trying to steer people away from roles they might actually enjoy. Working in a job you have no love for is miserable. Particularly if you have to do it for 46 years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2112 said:

The island offers free nursing training (mental health and adult) which includes a bursary. 

I went along to a nursing course open evening at Keyll Darree this past November with an interested family member.

My jaw dropped when we were told that one of the reasons the nursing courses are so popular is because you can use your degree to work in many countries around the world. 

There is no requirement to work on-island after graduation. So a free course, with a bursary, and you don't have to "give back" by working here and contributing to Manx society.

There is a residency requirement to gain a place on these courses, so why can't they implement an after-graduation residency requirement? 

And by the way, Women's Studies is a thing of the past. It's Gender Studies these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Zarley said:

The island offers free nursing training (mental health and adult) which includes a bursary. 

I went along to a nursing course open evening at Keyll Darree this past November with an interested family member.

My jaw dropped when we were told that one of the reasons the nursing courses are so popular is because you can use your degree to work in many countries around the world. 

There is no requirement to work on-island after graduation. So a free course, with a bursary, and you don't have to "give back" by working here and contributing to Manx society.

There is a residency requirement to gain a place on these courses, so why can't they implement an after-graduation residency requirement? 

And by the way, Women's Studies is a thing of the past. It's Gender Studies these days.

I agree with the your comments, and a minimum requirement clause to work go Manx Care would ensure that the islands funds used to train new medical staff are benefitting other jurisdictions.