Residents' concern for pop-up hotel plans in Peel

Happier diner

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I think this is a great idea but I’m not sure it’s in the right place and for exactly the reasons the DOI are objecting. At one time parking along there was pretty easy but now, not so much. The boarding houses being changed to flats has meant an increased need for parking along there, not to mention the unofficial Motorhome ‘aire’ that seems to exist year long around but, in the summer, can be somewhat ridiculous. 

Peel needs something like this. It’s one of the most popular places in summer but there is a lack of reasonably priced accommodation.

The argument that it’s the only recreational ground is nonsense. There’s the whole headlands and the huge headland field opposite Cowley Terrace. There’s the two beaches and the headlands above them through the castle and up to the tower. In fact, there’s no lack of recreational ground.

When the swimming pool and then the Marine Hall was demolished it was dead along there. No-one but the young ones sharing a spliff in the shelter went there unless it was to her to the upper pathways it’s been crying out for something to happen there and Peel really does need it  

So, excellent idea in concept but the parking might see it scuppered. But then, where in Peel would parking not be an issue.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. 

Locate to the whole headlands and the huge headland field opposite Cowley Terrace?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Prices don't seem accommodating? PDuke says 65 to 130 odd pernight outside of TT period. That might suggest per person? That sounds like good hotel prices.

That sounds ridiculously high. Where did you get this from?

Be better putting a premier inn type development there. These look awful.

Edited by Raffles
  • Like 3

It’s a nice place to park yer van and have a little camp out in Peel, great views. I suppose they’d stop people in vans if there was an official camping place over the road. 
It’s a shame for the kids that use the skate park, they do congregate there and I’ve never seen any bother. 

Aside from topic… has anyone ever heard of kicking the rock? Apparently it’s something you do when you walk to the end of the prom in Peel, my cousin told me and even his dog kicks the rock (too cute and I don’t even like dogs… until I see them, then I love dogs) 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 2bees said:

Aside from topic… has anyone ever heard of kicking the rock? Apparently it’s something you do when you walk to the end of the prom in Peel, my cousin told me and even his dog kicks the rock (too cute and I don’t even like dogs… until I see them, then I love dogs) 

Yeah, got shown that as a kid by my dad, still do it, told mine he should do it, he thinks i'm a weirdo.

5 hours ago, Raffles said:

That sounds ridiculously high. Where did you get this from?

Be better putting a premier inn type development there. These look awful.

These were the rates that Duke quoted for outside TT/ MGP periods!

Fuck knows what they charge during that time.

Is their little wonder that the island tourist industry is fucked? Given one chance, the TT,  they rip the ass out of it.

AS YOU SOW, SO SHALL YOU REAP     -     AS SOMEONE ONCE SAID, THE TREMIONATOR?

Josem, worth a FOI re the funding of this D Marketing TT accommodation both peel and old prison site.

Cant see how it could ever be viable without a lot of our TAX MONEY 

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2022 at 6:59 PM, Roxanne said:

The plot where the Marine Hall was however, is nothing but a bit of waste ground that no one has ever known what to do with. 

The plot where the Marine Hall was is where the skate park is now.

The astroturfed area at the end is where the old swimming pool was. Is that the area you're talking about? 

• 2 months later...

Rumours 

Could get emergency planning to house Ukrainian refugees and post TT week anyone who signed up for homestay will be forced by law to take the same number of refugees for as long as it takes.

Government urgently setting up a management team to lead the interpretation managers and their team.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Rumours 

Could get emergency planning to house Ukrainian refugees and post TT week anyone who signed up for homestay will be forced by law to take the same number of refugees for as long as it takes.

Government urgently setting up a management team to lead the interpretation managers and their team.

Which pub?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2