ManxTaxPayer

11 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

In my experience, people who sing national anthems for reasons of patriotism (or, let's be honest, nationalism), tend to have very shoddy vocal technique.

As has been discussed on these forums previously, adding the flatted fifth when singing the word "fair" in the Manx National Anthem goes down rather nicely.

• Haha 1

What a dumb gesture. Could be worse, though. In the Philippines you must stand up and sing the anthem with "utmost fervor" and that includes in cinemas. Failure to do so can get you arrested, although I'm not aware of any cases where this happened. https://www.filipinaslibrary.org.ph/himig/the-philippine-national-anthem-and-r-a-8491/ Idiotic rule brought in by dumb politicians trying to distract from other problems. Just like the UK then. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

What a dumb gesture. Could be worse, though. In the Philippines you must stand up and sing the anthem with "utmost fervor" and that includes in cinemas. Failure to do so can get you arrested, although I'm not aware of any cases where this happened. 

I think North Korea is worse, where an execution would be sure to follow.

Lots of Americans stop in their tracks and put their hand on their heart on hearing the National Anthem.

I always used to stand up for the British National Anthem at the end of the evening in the good old days when it was at end of the night's TV.

Edited by Barlow

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Ohhhh yes I remember that being played . But dont remember my anthem , Manx , being played 

Perhaps it should be sung before every Keys and Tynpotwald Sitting. Anyone not singing with gusto should be taken around the back and ……………….. put up against the wall (sarcasm alert!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Perhaps it should be sung before every Keys and Tynpotwald Sitting. Anyone not singing with gusto should be taken around the back and ……………….. put up against the wall (sarcasm alert!)

Wouldnt mind betting that a some don't know past the first few lines ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

Go on then, I'll do it.  I know you've been waiting for someone to.

Why is this in Local News?

Because:

Andrew has a particular interest in the sixteen British Overseas Territories and five Crown Dependencies who alongside the expansive Commonwealth have always been Britain’s greatest allies, partners and friends. Andrew Represents their interests in parliament in his capacity as Chairman of the British Overseas Territories, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Commonwealth All Party Parliamentary Groups.

He's always over for Tynwald Day and stuff.  I'm sure we're all reassured by the calibre of MP defending our interests at Westminster.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

You're such an anarchist. 

Sarcasm, irony, whatever aside, in a way that was kind of the point. And it's not just being naughty, it's being real revolutionary rad. This is the Isle of Man.

5 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Really? Like what for example(s)?

5 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Is the National Anthem (God Save the Queen) really unifying?  It certainly is not my National Anthem.

Anyway the BBC no longer shuts down at night so when exactly are they meant to do this?  The guy is completely out of touch with the real world.

4 hours ago, Chef Raekwon said:

Kind of interesting that you've made the leap to multi-culturism there.

I'd be pretty confident most native British people could not give a shit about whether the National Anthem gets played on the BBC each day.  In fact I would expect most would think that it's ridiculous.

I'm not really a fan of the dreary 'God save the queen' thing, I was thinking more of the disappearance things like school assemblies etc and the growth of things which seem to disunite us and point to our differences rather than things which bring us together. Multiculturalism seems to emphasise how different we are rather than how united we should be.