Unesco Biosphere Status

Max Power

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's the one good thing about the Biosphere designation - it can be used as something to try to shame the Government and civil service into doing stuff they should have done years ago anyway. 

Whether it will work is another matter.  Whenever I've ever been at something about the concept, the discussion has always been about promoting it rather than doing anything to actually improve the environment.  They just stare at you blankly when you ask about actions to make things better or alter what Government does even in the smallest ways.  Everything is seen in terms of PR and it's not even PR that relates to the public but to other people working in PR.

It's possible that things may start to change and there must be lots of junior people, especially with a science background, frustrated at doing stuff that is ignored or working on projects they know to be pointless.  I think a lot of the politicians genuinely want to change things, but the culture of the Manx civil service is so dominated by self-defence (look at the behaviour of the Chief Secretary over the pollution in Peel Bay) and doing the minimum, that it will be very difficult to shift.

But if anything it is a hinderance to almost everything, which ever side of the argument you are on. "We can't do this, it will affect our biosphere status," which means what exactly, what actual benefit is there? I can't think of much, other than that it can be trotted out as a reason to do nothing! 

35 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The CEO of DEFA got dumped over that eventually, and the guy they shat upon is trying to raise money to sue them through gofundme. I've forgotten his name though, so can't provide a link.

The CEO wasn't so much dumped though as moved sideways to the new Climate Dept? Not much of a sanction really?

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 1:53 PM, Non-Believer said:

The CEO wasn't so much dumped though as moved sideways to the new Climate Dept? Not much of a sanction really?

Oh i dunno, I was told a number of the defa staff were delighted the big boss was gone.

Edited by TheTeapot

54 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Is it a department or is it a board? Is it a statutory board like Manx Utilities formerly Manx Electricity Authority? I get the impression that this climate change board was created a) keep the climate change Lobby happy b) Create an air of illusion that things will be done and boxes will be ticked and c) If as chaired by Daffy, and others in the board, they can’t wreak havoc on other sectors of the economy. The same applies to the new Housing and Community Board chaired by Chris Thomas.

This will end up being an overwhelming talking shop with ever ending grievances and grudges being trotted out. If ideas get mooted sensibly and discussed and put into a discussion paper, then great, it may form the basis of new policy and legislation. If it bypasses the HOK and Tynpotwald, it will just alienate the GMP. Already discussion on this Board is focussing on the rates system, and the usual big noises ramming their views down throats on IOMNP Facebook page. Chris Thomas is doing a 2 and a half lecture and answer session at the Legion this week - a sure Covid spreader!

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

Chris Thomas is doing a 2 and a half lecture and answer session at the Legion this week

He'll be lucky! Climate change will have raised the Irish Sea level way above the Legion by tomorrow!!!

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The CEO of DEFA got dumped over that eventually, and the guy they shat upon is trying to raise money to sue them through gofundme. I've forgotten his name though, so can't provide a link.

Kevin Kennington was the name.  Although he lost his case for disclosure of the Roberts Report, enough came out at the tribunal that it made DEFA look very bad indeed.

His appeal is on JustGiving rather than gofundme and that has quite a lot on the background.  I'm slightly surprised that the whole thing hasn't been quietly resolved with the change of Minister and sidelining of the CEO, but these things take time and I suspect Quinn's unexpected illness and death may have slowed things down.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Didn’t he apply for new role or was asked by Daphne to work with her ?

I don't know about any of that, there's no mention of it in the covering article of the time. None of the comments contributed are very complimentary towards his time at DEFA though...

Screenshot_20220109-202323_Chrome.jpg

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I don't know about any of that, there's no mention of it in the covering article of the time. None of the comments contributed are very complimentary towards his time at DEFA though...

Screenshot_20220109-202323_Chrome.jpg

Was this role Director of Climate Change Transformation advertised? Is it a permanent role or a limited term position? Or was it given on the say so of Daffy? No doubt the Housing and Community will have a senior civil service?