Unesco Biosphere Status

Max Power

On 1/9/2022 at 9:58 PM, Roger Mexico said:

The Climate Change Transformation Team is one of those typical Cabinet Office structures:

image.png.decad71e8f25888632621d75341174b9.png

image.png.fc8e3f18c1ae9ce93f5a74298591165a.png

With lots of managers and hardly anyone actually doing anything, except possibly some PR work ('outreach').

WFT is a Change and Engagement Manager? 

I'm sure they're all lovely people, but these are just non-jobs, what on earth can they do on a day to day basis?

total waste of taxpayers funds IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

I'm sure they're all lovely people, but these are just non-jobs, what on earth can they do on a day to day basis?

They all help to maintain the Island's resident and working population levels which is reflected in the low unemployment figures.

And every pound each of them spends is multiplied 96 times throughout the economy.

Or something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, b4mbi said:

This is one of the reasons that makes me want to leave this island for the sake of my kids future. 

The above just highlights how unsustainable this place is. I shudder to think how many real jobs like teaching could be financed by getting rid of these non jobs. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Danoo said:

This is one of the reasons that makes me want to leave this island for the sake of my kids future. 

The above just highlights how unsustainable this place is. I shudder to think how many real jobs like teaching could be financed by getting rid of these non jobs. 

The worm will turn when repayments for the £400m loan have to be made, and the public sector pension blackhole starts to steal £40m+ a year from 'revenue funds'. 

When this happens these jobs will be the first to go. It will be slash and burn. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, James Blonde said:

The worm will turn when repayments for the £400m loan have to be made, and the public sector pension blackhole starts to steal £40m+ a year from 'revenue funds'. 

When this happens these jobs will be the first to go. It will be slash and burn. 

Sadly most of these non jobs will be jobs for life, and protected under the patronage of our climate change loving politicos and trade union chums, who will kick up a stink. These sorts of jobs are advertised in the Guardian, it’s funny as the same local authorities recruiting climate change managers, 5 a day Officers and Cease Smoking Officers, that whinge they haven’t got money to provide basic services. Don’t worry the Island will probably start recruiting for non jobs, Manx Care leading the way, followed by the Cabinet Office. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

You'd like to think so unfortunately it'll be those at the coalface that pay the price!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

We have corporatist statism under CM Cannan, & he isn't going to change one iota

Probably best that their work is angled towards achieving Net Zero rather than their own ends

It ain’t going to happen, possible to reduce emissions and create a different lifestyle, and change behaviour in some cases, but it’s tokenism here. It’s rather amusing seeing on IOMNP Facebook page pictures of all the trees being planted. In years to come, the land will come under pressure from both Government and Developers, for housing and industrial usage. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

We have corporatist statism under CM Cannan, & he isn't going to change one iota

Probably best that their work is angled towards achieving Net Zero rather than their own ends

But there's nothing they're going to achieve on their own. The Isle of Man isn't going to achieve anything in isolation that will make any conceivable difference. 

While we do need to make meaningful changes to protect the environment, it is simply a matter of adopting best practise from around the world. 

It would be more effective if their salaries were used to purchase loft insulation. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

You'd like to think so unfortunately it'll be those at the coalface that pay the price!

Unfortunately the senior managers and certain self grandstanding politicos with a let them eat cake attitude, won’t be bothered.

• Like 1

The green lobby and politicos obsessed with any green issues, salivating and hanging on the word of Professor Curran, and other nodding dogs. Obsessed with new builds housing (which is an essential part of living), the test will be whether those who like to protest, have the guts to stand up to the developers and object, based up environmental concerns, and go against whether it is in line with the Area Plans (building within the Hospital Corridor). There are many brownfield sites ripe for building first time buyers homes with green features. Park Road, Demesne Road and Westmoreland   Road, are all brownfield sites. These should be priorities. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Ah, but will they be a 'strategic' Change and Engagement Manager?

Note to prospective applicants: don't forget to pepper your CV with the word 'strategic', otherwise you won't get a look-in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Ah, but will they be a 'strategic' Change and Engagement Manager?

Note to prospective applicants: don't forget to pepper your CV with the word 'strategic', otherwise you won't get a look-in.

I can think of a few who have got senior jobs based entirely on bullshit and buzzwords but with no discernible talent at all.

In fact if I use this  https://www.bullshitgenerator.com  and tell them I can belch "Land of Our Birth" I could be in with a good shout.

Edited by asitis

It might also be worth recalling that during the Quayle administration alone Govt headcount rose by @ 400 and that "x" number of those posts reportedly may have had no prior political approval?

• Like 4