MNH to Waste £5M

James Blonde

58 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Growing tourism on the Isle of Man seems like a very convoluted argument to me. 

On one hand I can see people like @manxman1980 calling for investment (by Government) in things like the Peggy and what they see as tourist attractions. There's no denying that it's a serious amount of cash even to keep these things running year to year - I see a figure of £8.5m quoted just for running the railways each year. 

You can get a 7 night holiday in Spain for a family of 2 adults and 2 children for the same price as 7 nights in the Isle of Man. 

As @The Bastard(great username!) has pointed out there is massive competition from around the British Isles for exactly the same things that the Isle of Man can offer. Sure, there's this kind of thing that these attractions are bunched together within a small area - but that only really counts for something if you want this exact mix of attractions, and I think it's probably quite a small circle of people who would pick a holiday for that exact mix alone. 

So then we have the issue of being price competitive with places around the British Isles - a very big struggle when there's a £78m new ferry to pay for. 

If the argument is the economic benefit that visitors bring then it's a very small benefit. Wages in that sector are low so often need people to apply for income support from Government and low tax payments. 

For all the cost to the taxpayer and lack of real benefit to the economy it seems like a lot of effort for no real return.

Is there something I've missed? 

In the olden days, a cost v benefit analysis would have been carried out. This one would fare very poorly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Presumably the extra numbers will be coming here for medicinal cannabis

Can't see any other explanation for the huge increase in visitor numbers that Dr Allinson is projecting

I await the release of his reasoning - which is promised for early this year - with huge interest

But the medicinal cannabis thing has been misunderstood. The legislation will allow licences for the growing of hemp/ cannabis crops for commercial use and it will not be processed on the island. You’re not going to be able to rock up to the Isle of Man and buy medicinal cannabis. 

3 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

But the medicinal cannabis thing has been misunderstood. The legislation will allow licences for the growing of hemp/ cannabis crops for commercial use and it will not be processed on the island. You’re not going to be able to rock up to the Isle of Man and buy medicinal cannabis. 

Dope heads are not known for their understanding of "complicated" ideas............................

2 hours ago, Itsmeee said:

What will the 500,000 visitors be coming for?

• 1 year later...

Just had a walk up around chasms and down to cregneash and there’s a new bit of tarmac laid from car park at the top down to the main road. Must be in anticipation of a huge tourist influx or just another easy fix while main well used roads crumble. What really annoyed me is that old bit of vintage farm combine/ thresher machinery or whatever it is that’s be left in that field for years to decay which should have been restored or given to some society to restore has been set on fire, looks like an heritage employer standing over it , yet they want to spend 5 million on the Peggy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

What really annoyed me is that old bit of vintage farm combine/ thresher machinery or whatever it is that’s be left in that field for years to decay which should have been restored or given to some society to restore has been set on fire, looks like an heritage employer standing

That was the optimal solution for the horse trams. Bonfire on Douglas Beach. Would have saved ~£8m.

Same for the Peggy. 

Plenty of other junk in the MNH warehouse that should be chucked on  a bonfire too.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

Just had a walk up around chasms and down to cregneash and there’s a new bit of tarmac laid from car park at the top down to the main road. Must be in anticipation of a huge tourist influx or just another easy fix while main well used roads crumble. What really annoyed me is that old bit of vintage farm combine/ thresher machinery or whatever it is that’s be left in that field for years to decay which should have been restored or given to some society to restore has been set on fire, looks like an heritage employer standing over it , yet they want to spend 5 million on the Peggy.

If it's the Chasms car park you're referring to, last time I was up there it was absolutely awful.  Some of the potholes could have been mistaken for the Chasms themselves.  I bottomed out my car on one of them. This is a good thing. 

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

That was the optimal solution for the horse trams. Bonfire on Douglas Beach. Would have saved ~£8m.

Same for the Peggy. 

Plenty of other junk in the MNH warehouse that should be chucked on  a bonfire too.

if you walk down the lane towards the reservoir keepers house at the Clypse reservoir there is a beautiful  horse drawn trap or governors cart   just rotting away in the horse tram field near the stables , its been lying there for at least 3 years  , such a shame  as it would at one time been part of our equine and agricultural heritage , disgrace really ! typical of governments approach to our heritage 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

if you walk down the lane towards the reservoir keepers house at the Clypse reservoir there is a beautiful  horse drawn trap or governors cart   just rotting away in the horse tram field near the stables , its been lying there for at least 3 years  , such a shame  as it would at one time been part of our equine and agricultural heritage , disgrace really ! typical of governments approach to our heritage 

With respect though, it's not government's job to be preserving all kinds of old shite - especially not when the finances are as dire as they are at present. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

With respect though, it's not government's job to be preserving all kinds of old shite - especially not when the finances are as dire as they are at present. 

Yes you’re right, but ……….. IOMG spends its entire time obsessing and interfering in people’s daily activities. They dick wave at every opportunity and like to bully the population into bending to their whim. The finances are dire, yet they spend money on waste and frivolous things. Perhaps if someone or organisation wishes to preserve something, maybe some non financial resources could be given with the proviso that it could be used in a future display at Manx National Hemorage sites. 

• Like 2