Man driving hearse is sacked for inappropriate use of social media

There is a ‘news report’ which appeared yesterday on the NPM, about a person employed by an undertaker (Port Erin based)that person posted a video of themselves driving a hearse, with a coffin, and playing music and ‘behaviour’ seemingly not in tone with the solemnity the role of an undertaker. I am not making a comment as to the rights and the wrongs of this, and only the individual who posted the video on social media will be able to explain their reasoning.

Whilst this person was dismissed from their employment, this article was published on the NPM as a supposed news story. I didn’t know that the NPM has set itself up as Tynpotwalds moral official mouthpiece? Or is the Nations Moral Guardian or does it view itself as Judge, Jury and Executioner?

If we do something stupidly, arrogantly or foolishly, we are punished by disciplinary action which could result in dismissal. In this case the supposed news article, has publicised someone’s errors of judgement, potentially discriminating him for getting another job. 

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

They reported a situation which was announced on FB by the employer. 

Personally I didn’t think was something that was newsworthy to report on a taxpayer funded supposed media outlet. It was a employer/employee disciplinary issue, and the employer announced on FB. Are the NPM going to create a news story if one of our politicos does something stupid out of the Keys or Tynpotwald ( let’s face it some have, and we on here have royally taken the piss)?

Can you imagine what the output of a newsroom run by 2112 would be?

Anyway @2112 you're so concerned about "the supposed news article, has publicised someone’s errors of judgement, potentially discriminating him for getting another job." That you create a thread here. Although presumably the contents of Keggin's reference would also "potentially discriminate" against him getting another job. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

If we do something stupidly, arrogantly or foolishly, we are punished by disciplinary action which could result in dismissal. In this case the supposed news article, has publicised someone’s errors of judgement, potentially discriminating him for getting another job. 

Whilst I would generally agree that disciplinary action should remain confidential and should not normally be shared publicly beyond inclusion in factually correct references to future employers, I do think that in this case, the funeral directors will have had to make a public statement to respond to a social media storm.  They did so without naming the individual, however, the individual themselves had already shared their offence on social media and it is not necessarily a surprise that the media would associate the two and report on it.

Finally the actions of the individual are highly insensitive to the family of the deceased and dangerous to other road users and pedestrians if he was using a mobile/social media whilst driving.  I think the funeral directors have acted appropriately to deal with the individual concerned.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

There is a ‘news report’ which appeared yesterday on the NPM, about a person employed by an undertaker (Port Erin based)that person posted a video of themselves driving a hearse, with a coffin, and playing music and ‘behaviour’ seemingly not in tone with the solemnity the role of an undertaker. I am not making a comment as to the rights and the wrongs of this, and only the individual who posted the video on social media will be able to explain their reasoning.

Whilst this person was dismissed from their employment, this article was published on the NPM as a supposed news story. I didn’t know that the NPM has set itself up as Tynpotwalds moral official mouthpiece? Or is the Nations Moral Guardian or does it view itself as Judge, Jury and Executioner?

the_dawson_watch.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Then proceeds to comment on the right and wrongs of it ... 😆

I wasn’t saying what was right or wrong if the individual concerned but merely stated a view that it was an employer/employee private matter, and not really a news item for broadcast on the NPM. It’s my view, but others are free to disagree.

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I wasn’t saying what was right or wrong if the individual concerned but merely stated a view that it was an employer/employee private matter, and not really a news item for broadcast on the NPM. It’s my view, but others are free to disagree.

If you want to keep potentially sackable behaviour private don't post it to facebook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Like they did with “spewing” Juan, for example?

They didn’t with previous ex politicos indiscretions or discretions (unless a criminal offence or other serious matter occurs). Some politicos antics are the stuff of legends and never see the light of day within the islands media. Spewin Juan set himself up, a) on the buses and b) aping his parliamentary heroes from the UK, and his expenses claim!