Inflation is up

Amadeus

51 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Are "General Improvement" the actual words they use in negotiations these day? I thought that sort of crap went out of the window donkey's years ago.

But hey, it doesn't matter coz it's not technically tax payers money anyway is it (to quote Eddie)?

No, that's just my expression tbh but that's the way it works in my experience. The annual claim is inflation plus a little bit extra. The negotiators are the various union bods for the employees and Govt is represented by Treasury and maybe Heads of Depts, they'll cite pressure on Public and Departmental Finances and use the lower figure of inflation measurement for their argument.

Somewhere, a medium will be achieved, though arbitration may be resorted to if there's a complete impasse. Past settlements are usually just below inflation (AFAIK 2021 hasn't been settled yet, PS workers got a £500 lump sum before Xmas in lieu of pending settlement and if it's eventually settled, it all starts over again in April). But that below inflation settlement is grist for the mill for the following year and is used to justify next year's claim in a way. It's a never ending game.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

No, that's just my expression tbh but that's the way it works in my experience. The annual claim is inflation plus a little bit extra. The negotiators are the various union bods for the employees and Govt is represented by Treasury and maybe Heads of Depts, they'll cite pressure on Public and Departmental Finances and use the lower figure of inflation measurement for their argument.

Somewhere, a medium will be achieved, though arbitration may be resorted to if there's a complete impasse. Past settlements are usually just below inflation (AFAIK 2021 hasn't been settled yet, PS workers got a £500 lump sum before Xmas in lieu of pending settlement and if it's eventually settled, it all starts over again in April). But that below inflation settlement is grist for the mill for the following year and is used to justify next year's claim in a way. It's a never ending game.

Thought 2021 was settled at 1% plus £500 lump sum for all PS although medical staff are still looking for some more & teachers got more but want even more.

Personally I think there should be an absolute pay freeze on anyone earning over £75k and then pay pot of say 3% on total salaries  be distributed from bottom up eg on £20k you get 10% ,££75k 1%.

We need to get a grip of PS numbers & cost 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Whatever, the OAP pension will NOT keep pace with costs.

Private sector wages aren't keeping pace with inflation. It's shit but that's how it is. 

Why do public sector workers and pensioners always seem to expect to be paid in line with inflation?

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Why do public sector workers and pensioners always seem to expect to be paid in line with inflation?

Because they are organised, unionised and effectively have people looking after that aspect for them right through their careers. It's a career expectation.

Plus Govt is terrified of having major industrial unrest in the public sector so generally acquiesces reasonably easily to annual claims, +/- a few percent. For the last 30 or so years it's had the finances available to allow that approach; now the things are a bit tighter, in no uncertain way contributed to by Govt's own performance in major project management over the last twenty years, outside demands for regulation and the VAT clawback.

The next few years are going to be interesting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Private sector wages aren't keeping pace with inflation. It's shit but that's how it is. 

I did differentiate between public sector pensions and OAPs. I was specifically only referring to Old Age state pensioners.

• Like 1