Kopek

17 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

That kind of approach may be considered somewhat wanting when it's discovered how much Putin & his henchmen have invested through IOM channels

The figure will be eye watering.  Check out the oligarchs in the Panama papers.

And it's not just russian money, we have Saudi royalty hiding money here too.

47 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The figure will be eye watering.  Check out the oligarchs in the Panama papers.

And it's not just russian money, we have Saudi royalty hiding money here too.

Although perhaps unsavoury, I am rather less concerned about money from other places, than our governments use of money which is 'ours' ! 

Standards in public life .... don't make me laugh !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Lovely piece on IOMNP Facebook page, HQ has planning permission to change the use of his Holiday Cottages from tourist into residential use. 

So perhaps even HQ saw the writing on the wall for the tourist sector? Perhaps he couldn’t get anymore grants? Perhaps the island is going to have an overwhelming rush of new residents, here long enough to register on the census? 

Of course HQ is entitled to do with his business as he sees fit, but if he hasn’t faith in one sector, then it really speaks volumes and says a lot of his stewardship and decisions made.

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Lovely piece on IOMNP Facebook page, HQ has planning permission to change the use of his Holiday Cottages from tourist into residential use. 

So perhaps even HQ saw the writing on the wall for the tourist sector? Perhaps he couldn’t get anymore grants? Perhaps the island is going to have an overwhelming rush of new residents, here long enough to register on the census? 

Of course HQ is entitled to do with his business as he sees fit, but if he hasn’t faith in one sector, then it really speaks volumes and says a lot of his stewardship and decisions made.

Falcon hotel in port Erin are making same application for their 16 flats, saying demand has fallen but probably want to sell them because of massive capital appreciation since built 

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Falcon hotel in port Erin are making same application for their 16 flats, saying demand has fallen but probably want to sell them because of massive capital appreciation since built 

I thought we were expecting over 500,000 visitors?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Covid's over. No accommodation required for key workers and isolation cases. Howie's just played a blinder on the pandemic 😂

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Covid's over. No accommodation required for key workers and isolation cases. Howie's just played a blinder on the pandemic 😂

Does he have to repay the covid grants? I think someone mentioned that on the Facebook thread

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Not actually quite true as it happens.  The proposal has been made, but not yet passed[1].  

The planning statement is interesting:

image.thumb.png.3c05f59808d128b0bd829eadcdd79442.png

I'm not sure if these properties received tourist grants for their conversion in 2006, but this slightly later scheme suggests that grants are repayable if tourism use stops within 15 years.  Which is convenient.

Incidentally the description of the owners on the cottage's website says "Howard works for the Isle of Man Government".  Which was one way of putting it I suppose.

[1]  It's shown as 'validated', but I think that only means that it has been submitted correctly, not that it has been approved.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Does he have to repay the covid grants? I think someone mentioned that on the Facebook thread

Not the Covid grants, because those were for loss of income at the time.  The only reason for repayment would be if the property had been let when they got compensation for it being empty, maybe not even then as a lot of it seems to have been for loss of profit rather than any income.  The only possible repayment might be of tourism development grants, but as I said above these might also have expired.

The <mrs has been ill for 10 years but they scraped through till the possible 15yr repay date passed . Hmmmmmm!!!!

Bit churlish I suppose, I would like to wish them both the best of health now.

Edited by Kopek

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not actually quite true as it happens.  The proposal has been made, but not yet passed[1].  

The planning statement is interesting:

image.thumb.png.3c05f59808d128b0bd829eadcdd79442.png

I'm not sure if these properties received tourist grants for their conversion in 2006, but this slightly later scheme suggests that grants are repayable if tourism use stops within 15 years.  Which is convenient.

Incidentally the description of the owners on the cottage's website says "Howard works for the Isle of Man Government".  Which was one way of putting it I suppose.

[1]  It's shown as 'validated', but I think that only means that it has been submitted correctly, not that it has been approved.

in the week my good friend and inspiration is kicked out of his cabin because it's partially on public land, this - buildings the public helped fund to construct, the public subsidised during covid, on a farm the public pay subsidies  to every effing year. 

Sick of this shit.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Hoops said:

in the week my good friend and inspiration is kicked out of his cabin because it's partially on public land, this - buildings the public helped fund to construct, the public subsidised during covid, on a farm the public pay subsidies  to every effing year. 

Sick of this shit.

Your not on your own.

• Like 1

The Quayles may appear to be realising the capital asset at the first opportunity after the grant repayment period has expired. Of course, their circumstances may have changed and the expiry of the grant repayment period may be purely coincidental...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, joebean said:

The Quayles may appear to be realising the capital asset at the first opportunity after the grant repayment period has expired.

They could sell the property as a tourist business, and allow the buyers to decide whether to continue in that way or to apply for a planning change.

Of course, it makes no difference who applies for the planning change, so that value of the property should be the same either way.