Huge Ramsey Rates Rise for 2022

Non-Believer

30 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Why are we continuing with this nonsense of so many local authorities. The answer of one all-island council is screaming at us in the face. 

The cost of disposing of 1kg of rubbish from Port Erin should be identical to disposing of 1kg of rubbish from Ramsey. 

A street cleaner in Castletown should be earning the same hourly rate as a street cleaner in Peel. 

No local authority on the island should be carrying on with this sort of hierarchy

End this madness and give us an all-island rate so we are all contributing fairly to services. 

There is little wrong with the small rural efficient authorities, it is the larger ones that have a  grandiose view of themselves that seem to cause the problems

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Last year's accounts for Evesham (population about 24,000,) town council showed staff costs of £361,819.

Last year's accounts for Ramsey (population about 8,000) town council showed staff costs of £906,800.

Big difference between the duties of an English council and a Manx council.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

There is little wrong with the small rural efficient authorities, it is the larger ones that have a  grandiose view of themselves that seem to cause the problems

The system as a whole is broken and needs to be fixed. 

The idea that we all live within easily defined parish bubbles is also flawed. We should all contribute equally to services across the island. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The system as a whole is broken and needs to be fixed. 

The idea that we all live within easily defined parish bubbles is also flawed. We should all contribute equally to services across the island. 

Get rid of the extravagant larger authorities then.

If we need any LAs at all that is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Douglas Town Council is the biggest Authority and seems to be useless at managing its finances perhaps some of the smaller authorities could give them a few tips.

It seems to have mirrored itself as n IOMG, lots of managers, lots of costs not a lot of output 

On 1/28/2022 at 11:15 AM, GD4ELI said:

I'll be paying £2,400 council tax (after a 25% reduction for single occupancy) for a 3 bedroom bungalow in a nice location. So stop complaining...

This is true. With water I’m paying about 3 grand a year, and just like in Ramsey, I get little more than my bins emptied. 

The issue in Ramsey is that it CAN be much better. It is small enough to run properly. Maybe Tim Cowin will bring a new broom.

Edited by Derek Flint

11 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

This is true. With water I’m paying about 3 grand a year, and just like in Ramsey, I get little more than my bins emptied. 

The issue in Ramsey is that it CAN be much better. It is small enough to run properly. Maybe Tim Colin will bring a new broom.

In Cornwall a lot goes towards care for the elderly, road maintenace etc. This is a very good page:

For every £100 we spend | Cornwall Council Draft Budget 2022/23 | Let's Talk Cornwall

for every £100 diagram.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2