Fog, Lights, Action!

slinkydevil

and if it isn't DON'T

Hear, hear...

That's incredibly distracting and annoying.

Amen to that! It's one of my worst pet hates but recently people seem to have been doing it slightly less.

I think the law is that you must not use them unless visibility is less than a hundred yards (or metres maybe), yet side from the boy racer community who just think it's cool to show off as many lights as they can, plenty of people seem to switch them on with the slightest hint of drizzle/rain/mist/darkness etc.

I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing to switch your driving lights on in reduced visability (ie rain, heavy cloud cover) but I totally agree about not using fog lights unless visability is seriously reduced by fog. A lot of the time, you can be travelling over the mountain in fog and your driving lights are sufficient. Forward fog lamps are not aways necessary and rear fog lamps are (in my opinion) only ever of use in heavy fog (until such time as a car pulls up to your bumper (as they all do over here) in which case, you should switch it off, unless it is very dense fog where visability is so bad that doing so would cause an accident (very rare that it's that bad though). I've lost count of the times I've been behind someone in fog that really isn't that bad and their rear fog lamp has been glaring away in my eyes.

Having said all that, those bloody xenon lights that are fitted to an increasing amount of modern cars really annoy me in the dark! I guess they're great if your car is fitted with them but if you are travelling in the opposite direction and come across a car fitted with them, they are extremely irritating!

I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing to switch your driving lights on in reduced visability (ie rain, heavy cloud cover) but I totally agree about not using fog lights unless visability is seriously reduced by fog."

So called "driving lights" are just as bad because they are only ever meant to be on when your headlights are on full beam. A rule of thumb is that when you have extra lights besides your headlights if they switch on with main beam they're driving lamps, & if they can be switched on with either dipped or main beam they're fog lamps.

Archived