TheTeapot

Sam Turton of Gef has posted this on twitter, highlighting the sneakiness of a consultation on our border security https://twitter.com/TurtonSam/status/1488165171864428546

The loonies in charge actually want you to have to go through all this extra faff when you get the boat. 

You can fill in the consultation for yourself right here: https://consult.gov.im/cabinet-office/border-security-coordination/consultation/intro/

It is only two questions and the answers are no and no, you don't even have to read it. Only got a few days to let them know. Closes on the 3rd. Do it.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Sam Turton of Gef has posted this on twitter, highlighting the sneakiness of a consultation on our border security https://twitter.com/TurtonSam/status/1488165171864428546

The loonies in charge actually want you to have to go through all this extra faff when you get the boat. 

You can fill in the consultation for yourself right here: https://consult.gov.im/cabinet-office/border-security-coordination/consultation/intro/

It is only two questions and the answers are no and no, you don't even have to read it. Only got a few days to let them know. Closes on the 3rd. Do it.

Thanks for letting me know how I should “vote”

Saves me having to think for myself.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

His opening gambit is pure post pandemic authoritarianism:

“the sense of threat seemed to come into sharp focus during the covid19 pandemic [Covid mentioned so soon it’s a giveaway] and there is now broad public and political consensus about the need for our borders to be made more secure. [Really from whom except you??] During the last year a considerable amount of work was done to identify the precise nature of the threats. [And yet we don’t publish any of it in this consultation]. At one level organised criminal groups seek to exploit the border to traffic drugs, launder money and exploit the vulnerable. At another level, when the borders are open travelling offenders often see the Isle of Man as being a lucrative target. [ie, some scousers nicked some car radios at the airport carpark about 20 years ago]. A strong intelligence picture is also developing to show that organised groups are also involved in trafficking people [Really??] and in committing immigration offences.

Noticeably absent is any mention of paedo’s though. I really thought he’d say something about paedo’s they’re obviously ok with them coming over. 

I have no problem with border controls, but the information should be collected by the Steam Packet and airlines, and forwarded to the relevant department by them. 

Like going through the airport isn't hassle enough, last time I went away I was subjected to a bomb/drugs swabbing and a total bag empty, with no shoes on and it was a cold floor - I felt quite sorry for the poor lad that was doing the search, he was nervous, poorly trained and clearly didn't want to do it. The elderly lady after me was in a similar situation but at least she had tights on! And it caused me to be delayed in getting to the bar for my holiday pint! 

5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

About 15 years ago, I was actually in favour of proper arrival and departure controls. It could have made a real difference to some of the issues prevailing. Today, I’m not so sure, especially in this clandestine way. 

Restore general movement, then see how people feel.

Me too, but this was before we began to slip into a totalitarian nightmare. Thank god I was young when I was, this island could be a beacon of freedom but through mismanagement and inaction it has become an overmanaged shithole! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2