TheTeapot

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I actually suspect they have been merrily doing such data sharing anyway and this is a hurried attempt to tidy things up once they have realised that it was always illegal.  It may actually make law enforcement worse by creating haystacks to hide the needles in.

+1. This.

It's been like that since I moved on the Island over 40 years ago. In the early 1990's I recall getting stopped by airport "security" on my way home from a long business trip that included USA, Russia, France and about 10 days in UK before flying home.* I was asked by security how my trips had gone in USA & Russia?. it was OK I said but asked how did you know I'd been to those countries? We know your every move sir, was the reply.

*Of course in those days there were no such things as through-tickets to places like USA or even France. Each sector/leg had to be booked separately. The only way anyone knew your travel arrangements would have been through the various booking systems that linked to a central database that collected such information (maybe IATA or CAA?).

15 hours ago, Cambon said:

I have no problem with border controls, but the information should be collected by the Steam Packet and airlines, and forwarded to the relevant department by them. 

I would agree. You already have to show ID when checking in or boarding if flying so I see no reason why they can not do the same for the boat. All that needs to be done is passenger lists to be forwarded.

I see no reason to have any checks etc when disembarking and the current checks on arrival are a farce. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I would agree. You already have to show ID when checking in or boarding if flying so I see no reason why they can not do the same for the boat. All that needs to be done is passenger lists to be forwarded.

I see no reason to have any checks etc when disembarking and the current checks on arrival are a farce. 

The id check when flying is for revenue protection by the airline.

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

Do you think people from Manchester visiting liverpool should be subject to checks?

The eu has removed border control between it's members so it seems crazy to implement checks between 2 tiny islands.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lost Login said:

I always was told that there were no Id checks on the boat so as to preserve the anonymity of our wealthy, the ones that pretent to live here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raffles said:

Do you think people from Manchester visiting liverpool should be subject to checks?

The eu has removed border control between it's members so it seems crazy to implement checks between 2 tiny islands.

Manchester to Liverpool - No they are part of the same country.

Where you have a limited number of people travelling a distance over a non land border it does not seem unreasonable to have to show ID when travelling if that persuades a few who many may consider as not desirables to not travel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Manchester to Liverpool - No they are part of the same country.

Where you have a limited number of people travelling a distance over a non land border it does not seem unreasonable to have to show ID when travelling if that persuades a few who many may consider as not desirables to not travel. 

Well you don’t need to show ID traveling by sea to IoW or Orkney islands or NI etc so why to IOM from UK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well you don’t need to show ID traveling by sea to IoW or Orkney islands or NI etc so why to IOM from UK

Possibly because the IoM is not in the UK and the others are. Having said that it would not bother me if you had to show ID to travel to the IoW or the Orkneys

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lost Login said:

Possibly because the IoM is not in the UK and the others are. Having said that it would not bother me if you had to show ID to travel to the IoW or the Orkneys

But we're part of a common travel area. You don't need to show ID and complete forms to travel between the Republic and Northern Ireland. 

• Like 1