TheTeapot

48 minutes ago, Declan said:

But we're part of a common travel area. You don't need to show ID and complete forms to travel between the Republic and Northern Ireland. 

Yes, we are part of the CTA, although separate jurisdictions. But document free travel within the CTA, even within the UK, has been at best, partial, for years, for certain modes of travel.

We had embarkation/landing forms for many years under Prevention of Terrorism from 1974, both air and sea.

Flying from anywhere in the CTA into Ireland has required production of photo ID on arrival at the Irish border, even if flying from Belfast or Derry, for 20+ years.

Flying anywhere in CTA, even internally domestically in UK, has required photo ID before boarding since 9/11.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Flying anywhere in CTA, even internally domestically in UK, has required photo ID before boarding since 9/11.

Up to the last time I flew BA domestic including IOM to LCY (March 2020) I never had to show photo id as long as I did not have checked bags.

Edited by ellanvannin2010
Additional

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Yes, we are part of the CTA, although separate jurisdictions. But document free travel within the CTA, even within the UK, has been at best, partial, for years, for certain modes of travel.

We had embarkation/landing forms for many years under Prevention of Terrorism from 1974, both air and sea.

Flying from anywhere in the CTA into Ireland has required production of photo ID on arrival at the Irish border, even if flying from Belfast or Derry, for 20+ years.

All true as far as know with the addition - Flying into UK from NI/Ireland also requires photo ID

30 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

All true as far as know with the addition - Flying into UK from NI/Ireland also requires photo ID

That’s covered by “Flying anywhere in the CTA…has required photo ID before boarding since 9/11”

And NI is part of UK ( last time I looked )

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Banker said:

But you don’t need an entry permit & landing forms completing except IOM & Guernsey 

We will have to see what happens for Dublin after flights and sailings resume in March & April.

Locator forms are separate to CTA, or Schengen. They’re a public health measure.

Flying into Ireland from the rest of the CTA you have to fill in an Irish Locator Form pre  departure. Even if you fly to Belfast or Derry and then drive across.

Ive just booked Paul, and the dogs, to Bulgaria. By road and ferry. PCR and declaration of honour entering France, PCR and Digital locator into Italy, LFT and on line locator into Greece.

There won’t be border checks either side of Montblanc tunnel. But it’s a technival requirement and he could be stopped and given a fixed penalty. Greece will check everything, twice, in three different queues, and do spot check swabbing of the entire passenger numbers, at Igoumenitsa.

I really think this sort of thing should be a last resort. Do we really need it? What benefit will it bring?

We've already seen a huge reduction in our freedom within Europe with Brexit, without any say in the matter.

I get that we were never an EU member, but we've still lost lots of freedoms as a result of Brexit - it seems a funny kind of democracy that this can be decided for us by the residents of another country. 

I think it would be more to the point if Government took steps to protect us from the outfall of political decisions by people in other parts of the CTA, rather than needlessly trying to protect us from them innocently visiting the island. Let's not forget the things they are trying to prevent are already illegal here and, if (big if) they are already a problem, the criminals involved will easily work around the need for ID.

It reminds me of the perimeter fence around the airport that was apparently vital to prevent terrorism and had to be constructed at massive cost in a hurry. I had visions of a sturdy 12 or 16 foot high fence with several coils of razor wire along the top. What we actually got was a fence that might well deter a terrorist, if they were in their late eighties and forgot to stop of at B&Q to pick up a £2 pair of wire cutters en route. A complete waste of time and money.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John Wright said:

Except BA when flying from IoM to London

6 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

Except BA when flying from IoM to London

But only if you’ve no luggage and have checked in on line. Day tripping business men.

And even then you’d be asked for ID at the gate.

I hope the BA LCY link restores. There are some interesting new European city links that BA has introduced, including Barcelona. Convenient for me to interline.

50 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They must have changed it in the last 10 years. 

RoI photo ID at airport border for inward travel from CTA has been in place for 20 years. Didn’t have to be a passport.

Covid has only been about 2 years. So that bit is less than 10.