TheTeapot

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Can you imagine all the people being turned away or held up in TT Week as they go through these ludicrous processes? They won’t be hurrying back. 

The final nail in the coffin of tourism, all in the name of empire building bureaucracy!

We are a small offshore island with ideas well above its station. We have a drugs problem, particularly Heroin, yes, but the creation of this border force is fast becoming a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. I bloody knew that they wouldn't want to give up the powers presented to them with the Covid regulations, civil servants never do. We need to lobby our politicians to make sure this doesn't happen! Photo id at check in, yes, but that's it! 

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why would it affect visitors to the Island? It's likely that all CTA people will be subject to similar requirements, Europeans will probably already be subject to paperwork?

While a few CS at the top will have had to dream up the scheme, why would the other CS want this? It will mean more work for them and we usually accuse them of being lazy buggers. There might have to be 'more' lower end CS. to deal with this, that's more colleagues to compete for promotion with! Do they  think like this?

However, is it necessary? Do we need more security? What security will it provide?

Is the threat of terrorism something we have to 'Live with', like Covid?

Of course, if things go wrong then we will all be complaining.

WhEn I travel to see friends in the RoI using the IoM -Dub route I need to show my passport to enter the Republic, but when travelling via Bfs I can cross the Irish Land Boundary without showing any Id

if the Iom government are worried about the importation of drugs and consequent exportation of cash then they have little chance of stopping the movement. How much commercial traffic is searched ‘rummaged at the border ....I doubt if they have the powers to do so. 

Put a few dirty boxes into a groupage load, wait a week and then send a numpty to collect said boxes from the carrier.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Raffles said:

I see they have extended this consultation to the 17th feb (was the 3rd).

https://consult.gov.im/cabinet-office/border-security-coordination/consultation/intro/

Did this just happen today?  Given that it said CoMin explicitly requested a Consultation, you can see certain members getting irked at having their request treated as a joke given the original short period.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:29 PM, offshoremanxman said:

It’s the mismatch in aspirations that gets me the most. On one hand we say we want 500,000 tourists here (which is nonsense anyway), but on the other we’re setting out to fuck them all about as much as we possibly can. 

Everywhere I go in the world I have to fill in paperwork and show a passport when I arrive. Even within the CTA, the ROI demand on arrival by sea or air evidence you're eligible to use the CTA, so that's a passport or driving licence. The land border is different, although last time I took the coach from Belfast to Dublin the Gardai pulled it over and demanded paperwork.  It doesn't seem to affect their tourism rates.

Whether it's a border agency or the airline/ferry doing the checking, I don't see the issue with people proving who they are before they come here.

• Like 1