Teachers mental health

hissingsid

It has been reported that 3/4 of Island teachers feel their mental health is suffering from overwork, taking extra classes when colleagues are absent etc.    I would suggest their mental health is affected by the behaviour of some of the children who have no respect for teachers or parents.    They spend more time trying to keep order than teaching, disruption in class in the norm.    Several teachers have told me this it is a very real problem.   What the answer is I don’t know.

• Like 1

Perhaps the Unions should be doing more to help the mental health of their members? 

As @offshoremanxmanhas said it's hit everyone and to be fair the teachers at least kept 100% of their salaries for the duration including a pay rise in 2020 - that's a lot more than many on this island got. 

Cannan needs to grow a pair and impose a public sector pay freeze. 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Same in just about any job. There’s a lot of walking wounded out there from the last 2 years. I’m sick of constantly hearing about the teachers to be honest. This shit has affected just about everybody - who are just expected to get on with it. Nobody is handing out any Blue Peter badges in the private sector. They’re just loading more work on people so that businesses can catch up for two years of wrecked plans lost income and disruption. 

The teachers are mopping up the shit that this has left behind, lots of kids have gone a bit feral, something to do with been cooked up with arguing parents for the best part of 18 months and just playing fortnite / watching tiktoks 24 / 7. There was a recruitment crisis before covid, now its worse, who would want to do that job when the staffing resources to make it manageable are just not there?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I would suggest their mental health is affected by the behaviour of some of the children who have no respect for teachers or parents. 

Take a look at some of the replies on here and you will see why children have no respect for teachers.

Its simply because adults don't and that gets passed onto the children. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Health service. 

Social care workers 

Police 

Mental health workers

Yes, to some extent but then they don't have to try and teach 30 kids all day, then go home and stay up marking and prepping the following day, not the same thing, those jobs would pay overtime for out of hours work, you really would have to be a mug to take up teaching. 

53 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Take a look at some of the replies on here and you will see why children have no respect for teachers.

Its simply because adults don't and that gets passed onto the children. 

Respect is earned, Throwing their toys out of the pram and demanding a pay rise is not respectable behaviour. 

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Respect is earned, Throwing their toys out of the pram and demanding a pay rise is not respectable behaviour. 

Is getting meaningless payrises that fall below the rate of inflation/cost of living increase year on year for decades while the sector goes through a recruitment crisis respectable? Sounds stupid to me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Is getting meaningless payrises that fall below the rate of inflation/cost of living increase year on year for decades while the sector goes through a recruitment crisis respectable? Sounds stupid to me.

Ask that question to the majority of the Island's private sector workers on less than £25k and you would get laughed out of the room. 

The world's shit at the moment, we all just need to pull our socks up and crack on with it. 

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Ask that question to the majority of the Island's private sector workers on less than £25k and you would get laughed out of the room. 

The world's shit at the moment, we all just need to pull our socks up and crack on with it. 

The timing is unfortunate, though the issues have been much longer than the last 2 years.

The answer to many people having shit pay and conditions isn't to continue to give all of them shit pay and conditions. It's very odd to me that every time something like this comes up, about any union really, people are up in arms that something might improve for people other than themselves, and that it shouldn't. It should. And it should improve for them, too.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Explain to me how Teacher's earn respect then?  They all have to have a certain level of academic achievement and must complete Teaching Qualifications and Teaching practice as well as being subject to classroom observations and OFSTED inspections.

Teaching a classroom of children is a skill and one that should be valued by society in general but certainly by parents.  Teaching is not a glorified babysitting service.

That makes me wonder how the hourly rate for a babysitter/childminder who cares for one child compares with a Teachers salary who is responsible for the care and education of around 30 children per day?  Does anyone have the information?

• Like 2