Teachers mental health

hissingsid

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

As I said it’s clearly just a ploy to make more money. All the teaching profession is experiencing is the exact same issues as everyone else is experiencing. But we haven’t all got out hands out asking for more cash to enable us to deal with reality. 

There are few professions which require as much training and expense as becoming a teacher for such little pay.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

Mentioning money again. It’s quite repetitive. So many people are leaving established career paths and professions post pandemic. It is not all about teachers. Much as some would clearly like it to be. 

I'm mentioning it because it's very relevant to the staffing problems in education. Not sure why you think it shouldn't be mentioned. Your "well other professions bla bla" is copium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

People change jobs or move for a variety of reasons pay is seldom the biggest driver and certainly isn't now. I know some people who have taken £30 or £40K pay cuts post pandemic just so they can do something they’ve always wanted to or reduce their hours. It’s mostly not about money post pandemic but about re-evaluating their priorities and goals. The same applies to teachers. 

It's not just post-pandemic job changing though, is it? It's been going on for a number of years. There are articles on MR from 4+ years ago about teaching shortages and the problems in the profession. And crucially, unlike other professions, it's not a mix of people leaving and others joining who have left other professions, it's a net loss from the profession as a whole.

And yes, pay doesn't need to be the biggest driver unless your pay is so low that it's affecting your ability to have a reasonable life.

Anyone who can take a 30 or 40k pay cut and afford to live is doing very nicely thank you. The majority of our teachers would be on negative income if they took a 30-40k pay cut.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

It’s about pay isn’t it? You’ve mentioned it countless times now. 

Pay is one of the factors making the role untenable, yes. Not the only one, but a profession being financially unviable is hardly inviting is it. There are plenty of problems around working conditions, workloads etc too, but being properly remunerated reduces those problems as well. I work very long days at my job, but I feel I'm appropriately paid for my time so I don't mind so much. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

So you mean teachers have the exact same problems that most other people have in the job market too? 

There are different extents to each of the problems, both for teachers and others. But teachers cannot simply jump to a different company like the vast majority of professions. There are many differences between teaching and private sector employment that you seem to be deliberately ignoring. You're also cherry picking one sentence from each of my posts.

• Like 4

That’s just wrong. There is so much career changing going on out there at the moment. People jacking in 20 year careers to follow their heart and take less money for re-training opportunities or finally doing something they have always wanted to do. It’s largely due to the pandemic. All you’re basically saying is that some teachers lack ambition or have no appetite for risk and therefore need to be paid more to maintain their interest. 

As already stated, staffing has been an issue since before the pandemic. As has the pay and conditions, hence all the industrial action before the pandemic. And it's not career hopping, it's an exodus from teaching. Nobody is career hopping to teaching. Clearly teachers aren't lacking ambition or appetite for risk, given they're leaving. We need to pay more to ensure that we actually have enough teachers to educate the next generation.

You are apparently immune to facts that don't agree with your belief.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I don’t think you have much awareness of what is happening outside of teaching. This is happening all over. People are leaving well established long term careers in droves to do something different and it is being hugely driven by the pandemic. This is not unique to teaching at all, and even if you paid them more money they’d still leave. 

I have plenty of awareness of the world outside teaching thanks, it's the one I work in. Again, as mentioned, if people leave a company the profits go down. If people leave teaching, our children suffer. They are not comparable. And for now the 4th(?) time, this was present before the pandemic in teaching. It is not a result of the pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

They’re clearly leaving now just like a load of people are leaving well trodden long term careers because the pandemic has forced them to re-evaluate their aspirations and life choices. It’s very seldom about money. But the teaching unions are trying to blackmail pay increases on the back of it. 

Why were they leaving prior to the pandemic then? And what makes you think that whatever reasons those were prior to the pandemic, they don't exist any more?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/18/2022 at 7:48 AM, offshoremanxman said:

Manx cost of living and insane house prices I’d say will be more to blame in recruitment failure than anything else. 

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s about pay isn’t it? You’ve mentioned it countless times now. 

Make your mind up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

Yes, but the FOI was about absence due to mental health. MR clarified that this morning, unless the FOI was misread. 

The article talks about mental health, but doesn’t specify that the 3500 days were all due to it. 

• Like 1

Kids are in full control now....bring back corporal punishment. Otherwise it's like giving the lunatics the keys to the asylum.

Teachers have no say...powerless...and stressed to f##k.

Been like that for 20 years now.

Kids know their rights, teachers have been stripped of theirs. 

• Like 3

Right cushy number, started at 9 , had a tea break at 10.30, 90 minutes lunch at 1 and then home at 15.46😀

I know you posted this simplistic crap weeks ago but IF it had any truth to it, you'd think they'd be queuing down the road and round the corner for such a job instead of leaving in their droves.

or was it just your 'little joke' with its 😀 ? 

• Like 5