Teachers mental health

hissingsid

This thread is like a bad lesson at school, taught by a young trainee lefty teacher who can connect everything. From teachers mental health to the history of the world: taking in Scott of the Antarctic; Jeremy Clarkson; Douglas Baader (No Andreas Baader though, unusually); Ernest Shackleton; the Covid pandemic; etc.

Marvellous stuff...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Up until quite recently  ie within the last 100 years, I think the battle to survive was a day to day battle for many.  Lack of medical knowledge, or lack of money to access what there was, working conditions, poor public health and sanitation,  poor nutrition, poor education, long and widespread wars.  The list goes on on how we have become used to an expectation of survival to an old age, rather than having an expectation that your survival was under continual threat.

And I don't mean financial survival, although of course, it is a contributor to continued actual survival. 

Much of the world is still in that state of daily existential threat; it is not a state of affairs confined to pre-medieval times. 

That is not saying dismissively,  'first world problem, get on with it', but to acknowledge that the so-called 'first world problems' may have a psychological foundation rather than being a symptom of a spoilt and materialistic generation who need to get a grip. 

I've said previously (on here I think) that there's perhaps a case that mental health problems can be borne out of not "enough" real danger - brains evolved to be very very good at identifying danger, we wouldn't have made it this far if they didn't, and there's some merit to the idea that in the absence of existential threat, the brain might work extra hard to find one. Cavemen probably didn't suffer from anxiety. Nobody thus far has taken me up on my treatment offers of introducing alligators to their houses though. 

More seriously, if this were the case we'd be seeing more "soft" boomers than millennials. Maybe we are, they do seem to get het up about everything. I think really the biggest driver in the appearance of an increase in mental health issues is that they actually get recognised at a higher rate now, which is a good thing. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Nobody thus far has taken me up on my treatment offers of introducing alligators to their houses though. 

For some (probably Freudian) reason I read that the first time as "trousers" rather than "houses", which certainly raised MY anxiety levels!

• Haha 3

I say again, define your terms. What exactly does ,'mental health problems', mean? IMO it is such a complex area that when folk discuss mental health I feel they should be more specific because each area has different needs to reconcile their difficulties , if indeed there are difficulties.

• Like 3

I think Jeremy Clarkson is very entertaining and although he is a marmite character he is a one off.    I don’t think Stu hero worships him , I certainly don’t but like his subject matter and his show.  Voice of reason perhaps you like Ant and Dec , hero worship even. 🤣

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I think Jeremy Clarkson is very entertaining and although he is a marmite character he is a one off.    I don’t think Stu hero worships him , I certainly don’t but like his subject matter and his show.  Voice of reason perhaps you like Ant and Dec , hero worship even. 🤣

Nope I have no time either for that irritating pair.

I don’t know how old you are but Top Gear used to be an informative show, reviewing and testing new cars coming onto the market along with other serious car related news.

Then along come these three clowns with their “wild and wacky” features. Blowing up caravans, dropping cars from cranes and other “hilarious” adventures.

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Nope I have no time either for that irritating pair.

I don’t know how old you are but Top Gear used to be an informative show, reviewing and testing new cars coming onto the market along with other serious car related news.

Then along come these three clowns with their “wild and wacky” features. Blowing up caravans, dropping cars from cranes and other “hilarious” adventures.

I agree. I got to the point of zooming through Top Gear at 30x and only watching the car test bits. Grand Tour is equally dull in parts. His farming show was good and most farmers liked it too.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m struggling to find another local business that’s shutting down because it has so many people off “sick”. Have you heard of any? 

I’m struggling to think of any other business that has such a well defined requirement to have a minimum staffing level that’s considered safe. Maybe the hospital - have they not been cancelling things?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1