Teachers mental health

hissingsid

9 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m struggling to find another local business that’s shutting down because it has so many people off “sick”. Have you heard of any? 

Probably because schools aren’t businesses.  They aren’t shutting down, simply reducing capacity in line with staffing availability. They also have minimum staffing levels, unlike most businesses.

11 hours ago, Banker said:

What’s this got to do with mental health other than teachers throwing sickies 

Because people who are ill can be physically unwell or mentally unwell, sometimes both. Often when people are unwell they are unable to work. When teachers are unable to work, schools face staffing shortages.

Did someone really need to spell that out for you?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I meant on here. I really do hope they find this gene or other vulnerability that makes teachers more susceptible to Covid. It’s concerning so many are instantly off every time Covid hits the headlines again. 

Are you just trolling now? Risk of getting covid is proportional to how many contacts you have. Teaching 30 snotty kids in a class means you’re more likely to get covid than sitting on your own in an office tapping on a keyboard. Genetics has nothing to do with it. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

I meant on here. I really do hope they find this gene or other vulnerability that makes teachers more susceptible to Covid. It’s concerning so many are instantly off every time Covid hits the headlines again. 

Definitely trolling... 

I am not a teacher but even I know that viruses tend to be rife in schools, particularly primary schools, because kids are not great looking after their personal hygiene.  Throw into that mix the fact that parents will send their children to school even if they are unwell then you have a wonderful breeding ground.

Have you never noticed that Norovirus seems to love schools?

The other interesting observation is that since COVID-19 forced the introduction of social distancing, better personal hygiene and the wearing of face masks my business has seen a significant reduction in absenteeism due to coughs, colds and flu.  So even in the wonderful private sector we could all do more to reduce the transmission of viruses by taking better care of personal hygiene and staying away from others when we have a cough/cold.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

They work in rooms full of children, which is the population that is rife with Covid.

Your hatred of teachers has turned you into a fucking simpleton.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

I have no hatred of teachers whatsoever. As I’ve said all along I’m just wondering why all this is such an issue exclusively for teachers. Everyone else is just dealing with it like they have to. We’re not all off work or claiming how having to work is affecting our mental health. We’re just getting on with it. 

As has been explained dozens of times:

The problems with pay and conditions are not just related to the pandemic, they started long before it.

Teaching, unlike the private sector, you can't just move to the same role with a different firm to improve your situation.

Yes, lots of people in the private sector are also off work, and having mental health problems, you just don't hear about it because it's not necessary news like when there are teachers off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I have no hatred of teachers whatsoever. As I’ve said all along I’m just wondering why all this is such an issue exclusively for teachers. Everyone else is just dealing with it like they have to. We’re not all off work or claiming how having to work is affecting our mental health. We’re just getting on with it. 

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Wondered why the traffic at the box junction in Onchan ran smoother today.

Honestly - most of 'em have no idea about turning right in box junctions.

What’s this got to do with teachers? Unless so many off that less in box junction 😂

9 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Just getting on with it…

1635E13A-8C32-4AF6-98A7-A2A66D6034CB.jpeg