Teachers mental health

hissingsid

On average government employees take 12.5 days off every year,

I knew I was doing something wrong. Never had one day off ill when I worked for them.
Just asked the one in the house that still does. A handful (well <10) of days off ill in 30+ years. 

To get that average of 12.5/year some must be having weeks off each year so that will involve agreement of a GP. 😉

30 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

I knew I was doing something wrong. Never had one day off ill when I worked for them.
Just asked the one in the house that still does. A handful (well <10) of days off ill in 30+ years. 

To get that average of 12.5/year some must be having weeks off each year so that will involve agreement of a GP. 😉

Not really, self certified upto a week, mainly the regulars take a few days a month off, 6 months full pay pa!!

27 minutes ago, Banker said:

Not really, self certified upto a week, mainly the regulars take a few days a month off, 6 months full pay pa!!

That's not how it works though as frequent short term absences would trigger disciplinary action (capability) which would lead ultimately to dismissal.  The only exception would be if there was an underlying medical condition causing the absences but you would have occupational health or GP reports in relation to these to provide relevant advice.

Such measures are pretty standard across all sectors these days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

If it is true civil servants are getting 6% it is no wonder teachers and nursed feel hard done by.

for MF horseshit this one takes the biscuit, speaking from the inside this is up there with Russian levels of fantasy. We've never got anywhere close to 3% let alone 6%.

39 minutes ago, The Chief said:

for MF horseshit this one takes the biscuit, speaking from the inside this is up there with Russian levels of fantasy. We've never got anywhere close to 3% let alone 6%.

"never got anywhere close to 3%"

3AI8r5I.png

2 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

so that will involve agreement of a GP. 😉

I actually spoke to a GP friend about longterm illness and sign-off not so long ago, purely out of interest as I was tired of seeing people quite clearly taking the piss. 

He actually quite honestly said, "if they think they can't work and are adamant they can't go back, then it's really not worth my time an effort to try and intervene.  I'll just sign whatever they want me to sign to get them out of my surgery, so I can then deal with patients that I can actually help and want to be helped".

It's a fair point really and I think a bit harsh to suggest that the Docs are somehow helping them.  You ever tried helping someone that doesn't want to be helped?  How much time should they waste trying, when there will be patients that actually need their help?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

This is one union out of five (that I know of) that teachers can join. It’s not all teachers striking by any stretch of the imagination. 

NASUWT represents approx 600 teachers out of the 990 (2020/2021 academic year) employed on island.

5 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

That's not how it works though as frequent short term absences would trigger disciplinary action (capability) which would lead ultimately to dismissal.  The only exception would be if there was an underlying medical condition causing the absences but you would have occupational health or GP reports in relation to these to provide relevant advice.

Such measures are pretty standard across all sectors these days.

Pretty standard in private sector but not public sector which is why their sickness absence is well above private sector 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

Pretty standard in private sector but not public sector which is why their sickness absence is well above private sector 

Which proves you don't know what you are talking about.

Speaking as someone with direct experience in this area I can tell you that absence triggers are common throughout all sectors.  

24 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Which proves you don't know what you are talking about.

Speaking as someone with direct experience in this area I can tell you that absence triggers are common throughout all sectors.  

Why’s the sickness absence so high then & how many dismissed for attendance issues?