Teachers mental health

hissingsid

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

it was a bit creepy to be fair. 

Says the guy with Billy the Puppet as his avatar.  

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It's a lack of discipline that has become institutionalised in the education system. 

Teachers can change that if they want. 

This just confirms to me that you have no real understanding of the problem and as a result have no answers to how the issues faced by teachers can be addressed within the bounds of the law.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Says the guy with Billy the Puppet as his avatar.  

This just confirms to me that you have no real understanding of the problem and as a result have no answers to how the issues faced by teachers can be addressed within the bounds of the law.

Don't call Billy creepy as you'll hurt his feelings. 

I understand the situation clearly, I just have little to no time for the whining of the oh-hard-so-done-by teachers. 

• Like 1

@0bserver let's be clear here.  I am not, nor ever have been, a teacher.  I do, however, have knowledge of what life as a teacher is really like through family and friends.

I work in the private sector and there is no way you would ever persuade me to go into teaching.  The benefits that you perceive are not worth the rest of the shit that they have to put up with.

• Like 4

The average hourly rate for a babysitter in the UK is £8.38 per hour.

Assuming that is for one child compared with a teacher who if they are very luck would have a class of 20.  That works out at £167.60 per hour.

Let's play to the masses and say that a teacher works 30 hours per week. We now have a weekly wage of £5,028.

Taken over a 39 week school year that would come to £196,092 per annum.

I think most teachers would be happy to be paid on that basis.

Still think they are overpaid?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, hissingsid said:

It has been reported that 3/4 of Island teachers feel their mental health is suffering from overwork, taking extra classes when colleagues are absent etc.    I would suggest their mental health is affected by the behaviour of some of the children who have no respect for teachers or parents.    They spend more time trying to keep order than teaching, disruption in class in the norm.    Several teachers have told me this it is a very real problem.   What the answer is I don’t know.

I’ll answer, seeing as most replies are just about lazy teachers being paid too much.

Smaller classes. More staff. Better support for children with special needs. Massive improvement for camhs, parental support and social services. School staff spend too much time mopping up non-academic problems. Let them concentrate on teaching the kids maths and that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I’ll answer, seeing as most replies are just about lazy teachers being paid too much.

Smaller classes. More staff. Better support for children with special needs. Massive improvement for camhs, parental support and social services. School staff spend too much time mopping up non-academic problems. Let them concentrate on teaching the kids maths and that. 

But don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.🤫

5 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Instead of wanting to do the work they are playing games on their mobiles, browsing the internet, or chatting to others including those who want to work and distracting them. 

Well who the hell is letting them use their mobiles when they are in lessons/classes?

When I was at school we used to have things called rules to stop pupils being distracted from lessons.

What on earth is going on? Anyone who allows this surely cannot be described as a “teacher”

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I don’t agree with that but there’s an element of truth. There are an awful lot of walking wounded out there just trying to carry on and the pressure is being heaped on us all. I was talking to someone who was looking to move here and practice counseling the other week. He said it was like shooting fish in a barrel - literally no government support at all and a massive queue of people having to pay private to get any form of support. Reckoned you’d be on a good six figures working from home with hardly any effort at all. 

Locking people (and kids) up, and making them worried, and skint, and insecure about their jobs and their lives isn’t exactly the best way of avoiding a widespread mental health crisis. That’s all the teachers are seeing which is exactly what everyone else is having to deal with too across the board as workers, employers and business owners. 

We're all fighting our own battles. The 'key workers' need to realise the pandemic is now over. No more special treatment or skipping the Tesco line.

• Like 2

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

In fairness though you don’t see any other business shutting down because they can’t manage staff rotas 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=65712

Really? What other businesses split workloads like teaching does, and what other businesses do that and also require a certain number of people because they're acting as the carers for the children there?

What do you propose, exactly? Just put the Year 9s in some random other class? Hire half a dozen redundant teachers per school?