Teachers mental health

hissingsid

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Really? What other businesses split workloads like teaching does, and what other businesses do that and also require a certain number of people because they're acting as the carers for the children there?

What do you propose, exactly? Just put the Year 9s in some random other class? Hire half a dozen redundant teachers per school?

They should be managing the sickness absence, checking on persistent offenders etc, stopping pay for suspected skivers etc

• Like 2

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

The average hourly rate for a babysitter in the UK is £8.38 per hour.

Assuming that is for one child compared with a teacher who if they are very luck would have a class of 20.  That works out at £167.60 per hour.

Let's play to the masses and say that a teacher works 30 hours per week. We now have a weekly wage of £5,028.

Taken over a 39 week school year that would come to £196,092 per annum.

I think most teachers would be happy to be paid on that basis.

Still think they are overpaid?

Or alternatively £8.38 per hour for one child That means 42 pence for each of 20 children. 
At 30 hours per week equals £12.57 per week. Taken over 39 weeks that comes to £490.24 per annum. 
I don’t think many teachers would be happy to be paid on that basis. 

Still think they are underpaid?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

They should be managing the sickness absence, checking on persistent offenders etc, stopping pay for suspected skivers etc

They are. But current guidelines enforce isolation on positive Covid test, what do you think can actually be done about that?

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Or alternatively £8.38 per hour for one child That means 42 pence for each of 20 children. 
At 30 hours per week equals £12.57 per week. Taken over 39 weeks that comes to £490.24 per annum. 

Except it doesn't work that way does it?  Find me a childminder who would work at a rate of 42 pence per hour per child...

Then remember that teachers have far more responsibility for the children in their class than a child minder.

The entry level pay for teachers is horrendous.  I can think of several entry level admin jobs that pay more than teaching with far less responsibility and lower entry requirements.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Please explain your logic to the above, what point are you trying to make because it certainly doesn’t seem like the voice of reason?

29 minutes ago, Banker said:

SNHS appears to be short of staff tomorrow Banker, why not throw your hat into the ring and offer your support, show the world how it is done, show those skivers up for what they really are, you are the man, make it happen!!

Edited by Meoir Shee
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Except it doesn't work that way does it?  Find me a childminder who would work at a rate of 42 pence per hour per child...

Except teachers aren't paid on a per-child basis. 

Childminders also have to provide a quality service otherwise parents use other childminders... not the case with teachers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Except teachers aren't paid on a per-child basis. 

Childminders also have to provide a quality service otherwise parents use other childminders... not the case with teachers.

I was thinking exactly the same for the police, fire service, doctors, nurses, surgeons, get some market forces in there to improve the service and value for money, a bit like privatising British Rail and British Gas.

🤡

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

The average hourly rate for a babysitter in the UK is £8.38 per hour.

7 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Childminders also have to provide a quality service otherwise parents use other childminders

It didn't end well when it was just six bucks an hour...

30 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

I was thinking exactly the same for the police, fire service, doctors, nurses, surgeons, get some market forces in there to improve the service and value for money, a bit like privatising British Rail and British Gas.

🤡

Now you're just being absurd.