Teachers mental health

hissingsid

2 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas

That's deeply insightful, thank you for your well considered and measured response.

Teachers have actually had their pay reduced/eroded by 29.8% when compared to inflation over the last 10 years. No "ifs" or "buts" here buddy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

That's deeply insightful, thank you for your well considered and measured response.

Teachers have actually had their pay reduced/eroded by 29.8% when compared to inflation over the last 10 years. No "ifs" or "buts" here buddy.

Haha how many jobs have had inflationary pay rises over the last 10 years? Virtually none. You're quibbling over semantics. 

Have a read of this and try to understand why you can't have a 6+% pay rise. 

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/dont-ask-big-pay-rises-072700462.html

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Haha how many jobs have had inflationary pay rises over the last 10 years? Virtually none. You're quibbling over semantics. 

Have a read of this and try to understand why you can't have a 6+% pay rise. 

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/dont-ask-big-pay-rises-072700462.html

Presumably the Bank of England Governor will be taking a median salary this year to combat inflation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Presumably the Bank of England Governor will be taking a median salary this year to combat inflation.

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Ah, no, seems he won't. Rules for thee and not for me.

SvhQ37n.png

What's the salary of the Governor of the Bank of England got to do with this? 

The Whataboutery is strong with you. 

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Haha how many jobs have had inflationary pay rises over the last 10 years? Virtually none. 

Does that make it ok? I haven't had a pay rise so you can't either? Seems like something a crab might say to another crab when finding themselves in a bucket.

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

You're quibbling over semantics. 

I disagree. I think that quoting union documents and making real-world comparisons is actually very pertinent to the topic at hand and is worth engaging with seriously in good faith.

7 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Great little link, very useful and informative. Here's a question for you then. If inflation keeps going up and pay does not keep pace with inflation, where does that leave us?

I personally know teachers who have to work 2, 3 or even 4 jobs to be able to afford a roof over their house. Is this how we want to treat those responsible for the next generation?

RDT_20220201_1755363937669005394255003.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, 0bserver said:

What's the salary of the Governor of the Bank of England got to do with this? 

The Whataboutery is strong with you. 

What's the salary of the guy telling people not to ask for big payrises got to do with the guy telling people not to ask for big payrises? Really?

• Like 2

Great little link, very useful and informative. Here's a question for you then. If inflation keeps going up and pay does not keep pace with inflation, where does that leave us?

It would be a fair argument for the Governor to make were wages actually tied to productivity still. But they're not. 

Does that make it ok? I haven't had a pay rise so you can't either? Seems like something a crab might say to another crab when finding themselves in a bucket.

But can you give an example of an occupation that has guaranteed above inflation pay rises year in year out? 

It's not fair, but you don't seem to realise that life isn't fair. Inflation is just a fact of life. 

Just now, 0bserver said:

But can you give an example of an occupation that has guaranteed above inflation pay rises year in year out? 

It's not fair, but you don't seem to realise that life isn't fair. Inflation is just a fact of life. 

Contractually guaranteed? No. But in general Tech payrises have beaten inflation consistently.

Pay banding doesn't help particularly in this regard, I'm private sector so I can just argue until I get the pay I want. If you're on a banded scheme you can't.

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

What's the salary of the guy telling people not to ask for big payrises got to do with the guy telling people not to ask for big payrises? Really?

Yeah, he's the Governor of the Bank of England. Same way when Ashy tells us all that our taxes are going up, he will still be paid more than most people. 

26 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I can cite many that are contractually linked to RPI/CPI, or at least averages of those figures.  The common element with those occuptions is strong trade unions.

And before you scream "not fair" these are agreements in the private sector.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 0bserver said:

This shows you how out of kilter with reality these so-called teachers actually are. 2% is massive in the current environment. Cannan needs to slap a public sector pay freeze in place. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/teaching-union-rejects-slap-in-the-face-pay-offer/

That’s just the headteachers. They don’t count. 😉