Teachers mental health

hissingsid

10 hours ago, Banker said:

Part time now with NEDs, not sure how facts are bile but if you had a poll of who knows teachers at school after 4.30 you’d  get surprising information 

Ah yes, because if there is one thing that the pandemic has taught us is that 'working from home' definitely doesn't work and isn't feasible. We all need to be in the office at all times to be able to be productive and carry out our duties.

Teachers do unpaid work preparing, marking, etc. This is widely known, get some sense.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can confirm that teachers mental health has taken a battering in the last couple of years and that children’s behaviour is one of the key issues. Impulsive behaviour from pupils, lack of focus and inattentiveness is rife.

All these things are mental health red alerts for the children and staff alike. We will be facing the side effects of the pandemic from a mental health perspective for years to come. The year 7 and 8 pupils have been hit especially hard, the current year 7s probably worse.

So many teachers have been off and cover staff have had it particularly difficult. Many have specific training in SEN and mental health, but the ongoing disruption to society and schooling has meant they have had to step up beyond expectations.

Many are employed as pastoral workers too and the conflict between supporting mental health for students and maintaining the curriculum during these times has been close to impossible.

Some of these staff would like to go into teaching full-time, but the last few years really isn’t a good advert for it and the mental health support for staff is poor at best.

• Like 5

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/75-per-cent-of-surveyed-teachers-report-adverse-impact-on-mental-health/

Back in the news today:

"The NASUWT has blamed increased workloads- it also claims half of secondary school teachers are covering lessons for absent colleagues at least once a week.

Only 15 per cent said they felt their school took their wellbeing seriously."

Government: 

ThErE iS nO tEaChEr ShOrTaGe Or ReCrUiTmEnT cRiSis.

We can all see where this is headed.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2022 at 6:30 PM, Bill1977 said:

I can confirm that teachers mental health has taken a battering in the last couple of years and that children’s behaviour is one of the key issues. Impulsive behaviour from pupils, lack of focus and inattentiveness is rife.

All these things are mental health red alerts for the children and staff alike. We will be facing the side effects of the pandemic from a mental health perspective for years to come. The year 7 and 8 pupils have been hit especially hard, the current year 7s probably worse.

So many teachers have been off and cover staff have had it particularly difficult. Many have specific training in SEN and mental health, but the ongoing disruption to society and schooling has meant they have had to step up beyond expectations.

Many are employed as pastoral workers too and the conflict between supporting mental health for students and maintaining the curriculum during these times has been close to impossible.

Some of these staff would like to go into teaching full-time, but the last few years really isn’t a good advert for it and the mental health support for staff is poor at best.

What's the answer to the child disobedience crisis? 

I'm not really an advocate of corporal punishment, having been thrashed 17 times at age 11/12 alone, and I do mean thrashed. But we really didn't have huge problems with order in the classroom, I'm not sure the learning environment was particularly conducive to success. 

Teaching should  be a good experience for those who enter this vocation but it has been going downhill for years before the pandemic the lack of respect in general for everything and everyone is taking its toll.   When I was young,a long , long time ago respect was the norm, teachers, policemen, in fact all adults and that seems to have gone.   If you got an expensive present you looked after it and you would not have dared to go home without your coat because you knew how hard your parents had had to work to pay for it.  Now on FB there are pictures of good bikes abandoned coats left and never claimed etc. Easy come easy go.   I feel for the teachers I have a couple of younger friends who teach and we are in a group and they have some tough days.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Perhaps locking children indoors for months on end then making them work in freezing conditions with masks on all day hasn't ultimately been a good idea when it comes to encouraging positive mental outcomes?

But, but, but the Unions demanded it so it must have been a good idea! 

25 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Why didn’t the teachers back in the pre 00’s suffer with “mental health” issues? Oh I know, it’s because they were teachers and not constantly wanting to be friends with pupils

Didn't realise we had a child and adult psychologist in our midst.

Perhaps it's the dramatic change in paperwork and non-classroom activities added to the role for no extra time/money.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1