Teachers mental health

hissingsid

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Perhaps it's the dramatic change in paperwork and non-classroom activities added to the role for no extra time/money.

Sounds like the money would be better spent on funding more classroom/teaching assistants then. 

If being overworked is the issue then a pay rise won't increase the number of hours in a day available to the hard-pressed teachers. I can do maths me. 

50 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The unions have been pathetic and the mask and ventilation requirements were nonsensical which has no doubt contributed to mental stress and bad behaviour.. The same unions are making sure that they’re having to drag the public sector back in kicking and screaming in the UK. Even though they’ve said all restrictions are going at the end of the month. Was hearing the other day how many are still WFH here in government. Some literally don’t want this total mess to end and will drag it out for years continually dragging the economy down as they do. 

Once again you are talking from a position of ignorance...

Employers have a duty of care for their employees health and wellbeing and will now have to navigate the minefield that will be potential legal action for exposing employees to unsafe working environments.  See an example below;

It is possible that businesses could be dragged to employment tribunal if an outbreak in the workplace leads to serious illness or the death of a friend or relative known to the complainant. And bosses who choose to sack non-compliant staff could find themselves on the end of an unfair dismissal claim even post-pandemic, experts added. 

And in one of the first examples of its kind, an employment tribunal has held that an employee was unfairly dismissed for refusing to return to the workplace during the pandemic. 

Nick Quelch a financial servicers worker at Courtiers Support Services Ltd, had refused to return to the firm's Henley office after previously agreeing to work from home because his girlfriend was defined as 'extremely medically vulnerable'.

But when employees were told to return to the office from July 2020, Mr Quelch said he was 'extremely anxious' about the decision but was told there could be no exception made for him. Bosses said he could take annual or sick leave, or face disciplinary action if he refused to return.

The employment tribunal ruled that Mr Quelch had been 'unfairly dismissed' because he found himself in circumstances of danger which he 'reasonably believed to be serious and imminent' contrary to section 100(1)(d) and (e) of the Employment Rights Act 1996. He will now be paid out more than £14,000 in compensation.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10498433/So-youve-got-Covid.html 

Some other examples;

• Allette v Scarsdale Grange Nursing Home Ltd | ET | January 2022
    1803699/2021 Issue: Refusal to be vaccinated - fairness of dismissal

• Accattatis v Fortuna Group (London) Ltd | ET | 25 May 2021
    Issue: COVID-19 - automatically unfair dismissal due to workplace danger

• Montanaro v Lansafe Ltd | ET | 1 April 2021
    Issue: COVID-19 - automatically unfair dismissal arising from avoiding workplace danger

• Ms A Khatun v Winn Solicitors Ltd | Employment Tribunal | 22 March 2021
    Issue: Covid-19 – inadequate dismissal procedure

• Rodgers v Leeds Laser Cutting Ltd | ET |12 March 2021
    Issue: COVID-19 - automatically unfair dismissal due to workplace danger
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Sounds like the money would be better spent on funding more classroom/teaching assistants then. 

If being overworked is the issue then a pay rise won't increase the number of hours in a day available to the hard-pressed teachers. I can do maths me. 

Paid overtime, or additional paid hours does give you more hours in the working day. 

But we're talking about two different things anyway, conditions are crap and need fixing, and irrespective of that pay is crap and needs fixing. 

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

The unions have been pathetic and the mask and ventilation requirements were nonsensical which has no doubt contributed to mental stress and bad behaviour.. The same unions are making sure that they’re having to drag the public sector back in kicking and screaming in the UK. Even though they’ve said all restrictions are going at the end of the month. Was hearing the other day how many are still WFH here in government. Some literally don’t want this total mess to end and will drag it out for years continually dragging the economy down as they do. 

What's wrong with wfh? 

9 hours ago, 0bserver said:

It always amazes me how stress disappears when money is thrown at it?

• Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It always amazes me how stress disappears when money is thrown at it?

The word 'stress' is used to cover a lot of things.  Being expected to work for nothing might be intensely irritating, frustrating, and lead employees to feel undervalued by their employers.  If people are paid properly for what they do, they will feel less irritated and more valued.  It's just easier to say 'stress'.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It will kill almost every town centre going. It’s selfish behaviour. 

I would suggest that your behaviour is also selfish.  There are benefits to society when people are working from home including less traffic on the roads leading to cleaner air and less noise pollution along key routes.

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

Because most of them do very little at home & no need for it anymore as all restrictions being lifted unless you agree with people like Dudley Butt etc who want restrictions forever 

That is BS.  I know plenty of teachers who do bring work home including marking, lesson planning, report writing and even preparing displays.

I also know of teachers who use their own money to purchase resources for lessons because the schools cannot afford them.

13 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The harm of what?. A virus with a 99% survival rate that is largely only killing people who are significantly older than the working population age? 

I suggest that you take that up with the Health & Safety Executive and Employment Tribunals who are guided by the law.  

Also worth noting that in the UK there is no retirement age following the introduction of age discrimination laws in 2006 and which now form part of the Equality Act.  That means that employees are not forced into retirement at the age of 65 unless there is a capability issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It will kill almost every town centre going. It’s selfish behaviour. 

The internet has killed town centres. If everyone became WFH, smaller amenities and retailers would pop up nearer residential areas.

38 minutes ago, Banker said:

Because most of them do very little at home & no need for it anymore as all restrictions being lifted unless you agree with people like Dudley Butt etc who want restrictions forever 

Not sure who "them" is in this, given teachers are not WFH at the moment (other than all the marking and lesson planning and paperwork), but WFH doesn't reduce productivity, indeed it increases it.

https://www.apollotechnical.com/working-from-home-productivity-statistics/#:~:text=Several studies over the past,and are 47% more productive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

Paid overtime, or additional paid hours does give you more hours in the working day. 

But we're talking about two different things anyway, conditions are crap and need fixing, and irrespective of that pay is crap and needs fixing. 

Work life balance is important and if mental health is the real issue here then adding to their work hours won't help. 

I'd anything maybe we need to reduce their hours (and salary pro-rata)?