Prayers (Pray for the Island)

4 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

I once studied Theology. God knows why.

I had an uncle who went to Up Holland seminary to train to be a priest. When he left he joined the army instead. 

Michael Pennington also went there and ended up becoming Jonny Vegas

I wonder what their success rate was?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Old Git said:

I had an uncle who went to Up Holland seminary to train to be a priest. When he left he joined the army instead. 

Michael Pennington also went there and ended up becoming Jonny Vegas

I wonder what their success rate was?

The late John Quinn also went there according to his Tynwald tribute, and didn't become a priest either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I was surprised at the final voting. Some people I wouldn’t have regarded as overly religious voting against. The proposal by Maltby sort of makes sense. Observe if you want to, don’t observe if you don’t. 

There were many of them that said things along the line of "I'm not religious but we must keep prayers" whereas some of the actual practicing Christians didn't want to force prayers on others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes I get that but some strong Manx traditions probably do need ending. Like horse trams, wife beating and child abuse. We’d still be birching people if we hung on to everything that made us historically different. It’s been a weird old debate when we have much more important things to deal with. 

Actually wife beating and child abuse is not the exclusive preserve of the Manx. 
These are not in the normally accepted sense” Manx” traditions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I watched the video on Utube it was worth a watch.   Stu was really impressive he made his point clearly and with some humour and with speed, of course he is used to speaking to the public even if in the past his audience was unseen.

It was a complete waste of time. A whole morning wasted by these self serving clowns.

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It was a complete waste of time. A whole morning wasted by these self serving clowns.

Yeah, right? We'll never get those couple of hours back from something that has generated more polarised public opinion than I can ever remember.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Yeah, right? We'll never get those couple of hours back from something that has generated more polarised public opinion than I can ever remember.

More public interest and engagement than the Island plan!!

Edited by 747-400

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Seems like an emotive issue brought forward to distract from the real problems in society. Create a media storm over a trivial issue and we will forget about the cost of living crisis, Liverpool landing stage, bullying in DHSS....

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Seems like an emotive issue brought forward to distract from the real problems in society. Create a media storm over a trivial issue and we will forget about the cost of living crisis, Liverpool landing stage, bullying in DHSS....

You have forgotten that the ones who caused the issue, was one who came up with an amendment. To me it’s a case of look at me, I’m solving an issue which didn’t need dealing with, and I can safely tell my constituents of all the good things I’m doing. It will go well with Christmas 2022 card to the good folk in Douglas South. 

April can’t come soon enough then these minstrels will soon know what’s hit them - cost of living, increased fuel charges, increased VAT, NI increase etc etc. Never mind the answers……….. What’s the question?

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

You have forgotten that the ones who caused the issue, was one who came up with an amendment. To me it’s a case of look at me, I’m solving an issue which didn’t need dealing with, and I can safely tell my constituents of all the good things I’m doing. It will go well with Christmas 2022 card to the good folk in Douglas South. 

April can’t come soon enough then these minstrels will soon know what’s hit them - cost of living, increased fuel charges, increased VAT, NI increase etc etc. Never mind the answers……….. What’s the question?

If it wasn’t placed on the Order Paper then there wouldn’t be an Amendment. 

You should be asking where it was on the Order Paper. 

• 1 year later...

I totally get where you're coming from, and it can be frustrating when politicians try to take credit for problems they may have had a hand in creating. It's like a "look at me" moment, right? But hey, let's keep our faith that the right decisions will be made eventually.

By the way, have you checked out whenyouneedgod.com? It's a great place to find support and connect with people who believe in the power of prayer. Sometimes, we all need a little extra help from above.

Edited by Charmser
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

There have too many wrong decisions made in the last 30 years by self serving idiots who have cared more about being voted in again at the next election than making unpopular decisions, coupled with senior civil servants who revel in the power of advising MHKs especially new ones on matters they have little or no knowledge about.   The faith has long gone hence so many FOI requests, trust accompanied faith out of the window.