Prayers (Pray for the Island)

There was a really good response on the radio today.   Everyone who spoke and texted were up in arms about it.   The MHKs who were for it were named and the message was loud and clear from the contributors…..with all that is going on at the present time to waste resources on something as petty as this is disgusting.   Other people supposed the service in the chapel before Tynwald would next on the list. Apparently Stu Peters is uncomfortable with it…big shame.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There was a really good response on the radio today.   Everyone who spoke and texted were up in arms about it.   The MHKs who were for it were named and the message was loud and clear from the contributors…..with all that is going on at the present time to waste resources on something as petty as this is disgusting.   Other people supposed the service in the chapel before Tynwald would next on the list. Apparently Stu Peters is uncomfortable with it…big shame.   

I think it's very important. Any progress to separating the state from fantasies of invisible friends in the sky is to be welcomed with open arms. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

The first two callers were both non religious but both believed the prayers should continue for the people who wanted to pray.   Caine has had this bee in her bonnet since she was elected in fact it was her maiden speech.   You would think she would be too busy with her green campaign.   Having committee meetings about traditional formats I would have thought would be very low on matters that need attention.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

It is good having Andy back on Mannin Line, Beth is good as well both better than Peter’s who just droned on about his own opinions on everything now we are getting it in Tynwald.

Don’t fully agree. 
Wint is too full of himself.  Should be binned. 
Beth good 😊 as was Stu.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

Are they going to scrap the church service on July 5? In all honesty in a modern all inclusive and woke society, some would argue it’s a waste of time. It’s tradition and I don’t think it’s broken, but maybe it will save the island some money. Perhaps the traditional Tynwald Day ceremony could be eliminated and the laws promulgated in the Tynpotwald Building? That would save money as well. What are the cost benefits of these traditions, what do they bring to the economy? By scrapping prayers, will it increase productivity? 

Keep the service. But make it more multicultural. 

Begin with a muezzin leading a call to prayer. Then have the procession from the church to mound chant the Hare Krishna mantra. 

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Declan said:

It's not woke nonsense, it's recognising that many people don't hold a religious belief and its daft expecting them to sit there hypocritically pretending to prey. 

Personally, it's a bit like saying "hello to the fairies" I think it has a place as a bit of traditional superstition that I don't mind observing for cultural reasons, but I don't think it should be compulsory or hard wired into our constitution.  

The problem is that too many MHKs 'prey' - on the rest of us

1 hour ago, Raffles said:

I think it's very important. Any progress to separating the state from fantasies of invisible friends in the sky is to be welcomed with open arms. 

And yet the majority in the census identify as Christian, so it could be that assumptions we live in a secular society are ill-founded

28 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

And yet the majority in the census identify as Christian, so it could be that assumptions we live in a secular society are ill-founded

There's a difference between being a practicing Christian and a secular society. A Secular society is one where religion has little influence on one's life. I bet most who claim to be Christian don't even know the main Christian belief.

Have just listened back to today's Mannin Line with some incredulity and would like to correct some misunderstandings:

• Members haven't been 'wasting time on this when we have more important things to discuss'. This morning I learned that it's to be debated in Keys next week - which is the first I've heard about it since early October when members were invited to nominate a new Chaplain, or make any other relevant observations.
  • I'm a confirmed atheist and at that time said I was uncomfortable attending prayers but understood there was little chance of that changing. It's not onerous, I don't resent having to stand there like something spare at a wedding, I appreciate it's part of the job, but given a choice I would opt out. At present I don't have that choice - you have to be there for the full sitting and prayers is a part of that.
  • As far as I can see there's nothing 'woke' about it (me - 'woke' - with MY reputation?) it's just something I personally find irrelevant - like the wigs and robes and big hats on Tynwald Day and all that other traditional stuff that I think actually distances politicians from the people we serve.
  • We had two lots of prayers last Tuesday - once each for Keys AND Tynwald, which is a bit too much beseeching for me.
  • Prayers do NOT set a moral tone for politicians. Certainly I was brought up within a Judeo Christian moral and ethical framework, but my moral compass does not rely on religion.
  • I expect the vote next week will be to retain the status quo, since We Don't Like Change. Found it ridiculous that the first ML caller identifies as an atheist, hasn't prayed her entire adult life, but insisted we should! As others have opined in this thread, the percentage of residents who identified as Christians did so because they feel part of a Christian civilisation, not because they pray or go to church.
  • I have lots of pals who have faith. I envy them that - life would be so much simpler if I thought there was a higher power looking out for us and somewhere wonderful to go when I joss it. But I don't and never have. Bite me. I won't (as was also suggested on ML) be on that boat in the morning, and if I (as expected) have to I'll continue to stand quietly while colleagues invoke supernatural guidance.
  • Like 2