Prayers (Pray for the Island)

I am happy to tolerate people being religious. You are entitled to believe any unsubstantiated bollocks you like, just like vaccines don't work or the holocaust did not happen. Such beliefs should have nothing to do with government. All religions are bollocks. 

• Like 4

These M H Ks who are uncomfortable with a 80 second prayer will no doubt find it too onerous to attend the church service in St Johns chapel on Tynwald Day before they strut down the path towards the hill ?   Double standards just because Caine has got a bee in her bonnet and prefers to waste time on cancelling tradition instead of working on her green project which she has probably realised she can do little about.    It is pathetic when the hospital is running on empty and other things are needing attention that this tradition has come to the forefront of the members things to do.    As for the first caller on Mannin Line today her point was although she did not pray she thought other people should have the opportunity as they have had for long years, however Stu’s interpretation does not surprise me as when he was in charge he rarely listened to comments made he was too busy coming up with his own monologue on the subject in question.

• Like 1

@Stu Peterswell put. To me the prayers isn’t a problem, yes it is tradition, however, it’s the fact that it’s been made such an issue, when there are a lot of pressing matters affecting people. Incidentally Manx Gas are seeking to increase gas prices and are seeking approval at the March sitting. Perhaps the good Lord will intervene? As I said before, if one tradition is dispensed with, then you open the floodgates. I’m sure lots of people don’t like the Manx National Anthem, but many will sing or stand still out of respect, especially to others. The Tynwald Day Church Service is ripe for change. The Dress Code for Tynwald Day is ripe for change, and the Pre- Tynwald Day Garden Party is another relic to the past and an expensive shindig, at a time when Politicos should be leading by example, especially when the rest of the population are probably going to have extra expenses. If people are not careful, their decisions will have unintended consequences. 

ETA - Tynwald members and HOK members are paid handsomely and can easily afford to either own or hire a morning suit. They can also afford to pay for the Tynwald Banquet, which I would imagine is subsidised by the taxpayers, whilst Tynwald/HOK members are jollying themselves at the Villa Marina eating the best of Manx Cuisine whilst poor people are making use of dried and tinned food from the Foodbank. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

These M H Ks who are uncomfortable with a 80 second prayer will no doubt find it too onerous to attend the church service in St Johns chapel on Tynwald Day before they strut down the path towards the hill ?   Double standards just because Caine has got a bee in her bonnet and prefers to waste time on cancelling tradition instead of working on her green project which she has probably realised she can do little about.    It is pathetic when the hospital is running on empty and other things are needing attention that this tradition has come to the forefront of the members things to do.    As for the first caller on Mannin Line today her point was although she did not pray she thought other people should have the opportunity as they have had for long years, however Stu’s interpretation does not surprise me as when he was in charge he rarely listened to comments made he was too busy coming up with his own monologue on the subject in question.

Very good points. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

As far as I can see there's nothing 'woke' about it (me - 'woke' - with MY reputation?) it's just something I personally find irrelevant - like the wigs and robes and big hats on Tynwald Day and all that other traditional stuff that I think actually distances politicians from the people we serve.

I hope you'll forgive the wry smile I let out at you discovering that "woke" was simply something people branded any change they didn't like with ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

If people want to pray they should hold prayers 15 minutes before the sitting. That way they're not imposing it on those who don't want to partake. It should not form part of the actual sitting. It's an anachronism and needs to go.

51 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

is pathetic when the hospital is running on empty and other things are needing attention that this tradition has come to the forefront of the members things to do.

Just to deal with this nonsense. It's ridiculous to suggest a parliament can't deal with more than one matter.

Have you even bothered to read the report? It's really short.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It’s going to get cancelled at some point as organised religion continues to slide into minority.

i would love to know what each individual prays for when they are “Wish thinking”

Rob “Dear Lord please can I have a shiny Scoreboard and the Snooker World Champs at the Villa”

Daphne “ Dear Lord please can we have loads of carbon neutral charging points that nobody realises are powered by a Gas power station”

Bill Henderson “God I stood in a bucket and pulled on the handle really hard and couldn’t pick myself up please help”

David Ashford “Messiah please can I have some sellotape I’ve had a mishap with the shredder”

Alf “Dear Creator please can I have a signed photo of Boris”

Moorhouse “Happy meal please”

Deal with the issues not the fucking sideshow….

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

It’s going to get cancelled at some point as organised religion continues to slide into minority.

i would love to know what each individual prays for when they are “Wish thinking”

Rob “Dear Lord please can I have a shiny Scoreboard and the Snooker World Champs at the Villa”

Daphne “ Dear Lord please can we have loads of carbon neutral charging points that nobody realises are powered by a Gas power station”

Bill Henderson “God I stood in a bucket and pulled on the handle really hard and couldn’t pick myself up please help”

David Ashford “Messiah please can I have some sellotape I’ve had a mishap with the shredder”

Alf “Dear Creator please can I have a signed photo of Boris”

Moorhouse “Happy meal please”

Deal with the issues not the fucking sideshow….

That is funny and you have summed them all up. 

55 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

If you find all the traditions of our Government distasteful perhaps you should not have joined it.

I go into restaurants where I don't like certain menu items too. Prawns make me heave. Instead I concentrate on what I like and leave the sea bugs to people who enjoy them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I go into restaurants where I don't like certain menu items too. Prawns make me heave. Instead I concentrate on what I like and leave the sea bugs to people who enjoy them.

Stu Peters “Jehovah please post something profound on a forum that only I Will understand and the masses will follow”

Beardy Vape: Book 14 V37 Old Testament 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

You could / should move an amendment to hold prayers 10 or 15 minutes prior to the sitting - which would make it voluntary rather than mandatory (similar is done in Westminster). Probably a happy medium.

• Like 1

Wow Stu P that's the most sense, your last few posts, that I have ever heard you say since, well since that that time when you, well maybe not then but when , well perhaps not then but since, well OK , since ever.

You could pass a note to the Speaker saying that you have urgent dept business to deal with and wil;l be late, your CS will back you up, hence you make your excuses and make your point.

Changing the procedure would be better than working around it?

Don't take any notice of Sid, he's a Islamic/Taleban/ misogynist who thinks that Women should  not have education, a public life or anything beyond subjugation, especially if they are an MHK or MLC. and if your name can be turned into Daffy, wow, look out.You have enough to worry about with your own interpretation of life and modern times.

Someone voted for you, even if only second preferences, you stick it to them on procedures Stu!

Kopek - you just can't do that. Sittings of Keys and Tynwald take precedence under legislation over any other political activity. Only death or serious illness is an acceptable excuse for turning up late.