Rees-Mogg...

ManxTaxPayer

22 hours ago, joebean said:

Except he didn't. That allegation was debunked a long time back. I am not very keen on rich public school types, but criticism should be accurate.

Except that he did. His firm opened an office in Dublin to be able to operate in the UK and the EU post Brexit. The company's prospectus expressly stated that this was because Brexit would pose difficulties to their being able to access and invest in EU domiciled concerns. And encourage EU based investors. He works for the firm three days a month and is paid a retainer of £15k a month. Additionally, since Brexit, Somerset Capital have paid it's partners dividends of £60 million. He owns 15% of the business. He hasn't declared any of this in the MPs register of interests, claiming he isn't required to. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Fair question. I'm old and can remember being a boss who made decisions (mostly right, sometimes wrong) and just got on with things. Even modern corporate life isn't that simple any more and I'd have trouble with all the regulations - every action needs to be accountable to a number of influences. That may be a good thing, but it's frustrating.

Politics is even worse - I'm only 1/24 in Keys and can't simply do the things I'd like to do, without convincing a majority that it's a good and workable idea. And then I have to convince the electorate, have experts and officers onside and hold a public consultation, all the time complying with legislation and agreed policies. But I honestly think the current Keys is motivated to do a good job, rather than look out for chums or ourselves. Time will tell if I'm right, but it's probably even more frustrating for us in trying to effect positive change than it is for you waiting for results.

Here's a thought, why not crack on with it and give it a go rather than drivelling on about how hard it all is?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I disagree, it just needs members that are committed enough to change that they don't let the prospect of failure get in their way.

If the Island Plan farce and yesterday's Keys highlighted anything it is that they don't like challenge and they don't want to change the status quo or "traditions".

Get ready for five years of nothing..... again. 

• Like 4

I'm happy to enjoy the cut and thrust of robust debate and banter on here with anyone who has a reasonable or understandable point to make, whether I agree or not. There are plenty of regulars who give me a hard time, and that's to be expected.

But those who just talk shite, hurl insults and purposefully don't understand what I intend to be worthwhile contributions (citing manxman1980 and Expat. on this page alone) are welcome to just stay in the bottom of their grubby bucket and hate the wider world and everyone in it. You're not adding anything of value, you're not even funny or sharp. Crack on hating and telling me how you'd do my job. You wouldn't even get elected, never mind achieve anything yourselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Stu Peters you won't engage in a debate about climate change though.  You have made it clear you have your mindset on that subject and you won't listen to the science on the subject.

It may surprise you but I am not convinced by electric vehicles.   I think they move part of the problem out of sight such as the intensive mining for rare metals and the carbon emissions that creates plus the damage to the environment as a result of the mines.

Your reply confirms to me that you are blinkered in your views.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

@Stu Peters you won't engage in a debate about climate change though.  You have made it clear you have your mindset on that subject and you won't listen to the science on the subject.

It may surprise you but I am not convinced by electric vehicles.   I think they move part of the problem out of sight such as the intensive mining for rare metals and the carbon emissions that creates plus the damage to the environment as a result of the mines.

Your reply confirms to me that you are blinkered in your views.

Spot on regarding electrification push. The solution is reduced consumption, not shifting the problem (and increasing dependency on China and newer damaging industries in the process).

Edited by opusManx