Rees-Mogg...

ManxTaxPayer

On 2/10/2022 at 12:50 AM, Stu Peters said:

I'm happy to enjoy the cut and thrust of robust debate and banter on here with anyone who has a reasonable or understandable point to make, whether I agree or not. There are plenty of regulars who give me a hard time, and that's to be expected.

But those who just talk shite, hurl insults and purposefully don't understand what I intend to be worthwhile contributions (citing manxman1980 and Expat. on this page alone) are welcome to just stay in the bottom of their grubby bucket and hate the wider world and everyone in it. You're not adding anything of value, you're not even funny or sharp. Crack on hating and telling me how you'd do my job. You wouldn't even get elected, never mind achieve anything yourselves.

I've been elected. I was elected eighteen times over a thirty six year period and served on two Councils. I reckon I've added a bit of value along the way. In the UK of course, where every city is a 'shithole' as you once told me on these pages. The point is fella, when you presented yourself to the electors of Middle and crawled in with 22% of the vote the chances are you didn't go around twining on to them about how many other MHKs there are, and the officers block everything, and you have to follow the procedures so nothing can get done, but vote for me anyway. You  must, at least, have promised to try and make things better.

From here at the bottom of the grubby bucket you have my absolute respect for standing. As do all the others who gave it a go. It takes real courage, and I mean courage as in being brave, to put your head above the parapet. Just don't piss on your electors by moaning on about how hard it all is. 

'hate the wider world and everyone in it'... is this your first day on the internet?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Expat. said:

I've been elected. I was elected eighteen times over a thirty six year period and served on two Councils. I reckon I've added a bit of value along the way. In the UK of course, where every city is a 'shithole' as you once told me on these pages. The point is fella, when you presented yourself to the electors of Middle and crawled in with 22% of the vote the chances are you didn't go around twining on to them about how many other MHKs there are, and the officers block everything, and you have to follow the procedures so nothing can get done, but vote for me anyway. You  must, at least, have promised to try and make things better.

From here at the bottom of the grubby bucket you have my absolute respect for standing. As do all the others who gave it a go. It takes real courage, and I mean courage as in being brave, to put your head above the parapet. Just don't piss on your electors by moaning on about how hard it all is. 

'hate the wider world and everyone in it'... is this your first day on the internet?

Stu may have “crawled in” with 22% of the vote but that does not make his victory any less legitimate. Not damning him with faint praise
Like the marginal Brexit vote,( which I just thought I should mention!)

This long after, they are now canvassing the public for reasons to justify their "Liberation".

I liked commenter Nick's quip:

"I’d predict a roughly 50:50 split between rules/red tape that doesn’t actually exist and regulations that are entirely of UK origin"

A lot of truth in that satire.

• Like 3

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/11/jacob-rees-mogg-brexit-opportunities-britain-economy

"Ignore the talk of the greatest growth since the second world war: that’s just a function of the economy having collapsed so badly in 2020. Note instead the Bank of England’s forecast of 1.25% growth in 2023, falling to just 1% in 2024. David Smith, economics editor of the Sunday Times and no remoaner fanatic, puts that down partly to Covid but partly to the “adverse fiscal consequences of leaving the EU”, which left the country “with a budget hole that has had to be filled with higher taxes. We now have a high-tax economy strangled by red tape and hampered by trade restrictions.”

Edited by opusManx
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Stu may have “crawled in” with 22% of the vote but that does not make his victory any less legitimate. Not damning him with faint praise
Like the marginal Brexit vote,( which I just thought I should mention!)

I would never suggest that his success at the poll wasn't entirely legitimate. It was, although it did seem to me that the electors of Middle had a pretty clear idea that they wanted one particular candidate to represent them, there was a bit of a ruck amongst the rest from which Stu emerged as the winner. But win he did, and he deserves the same admiration from all of us for having the guts to give it a go as does every single person who presented themselves as a candidate. 

I've heard plenty of long standing elected members go on about how hopeless it all is. It aggravates me because it is a rare privilege to be elected in he first place and six months in seems a bit soon to be giving up on it. 

You misunderstand me.

I've certainly not given up, and it's not whining on my part, its explaining to a genuine questioner just how hard it is to make real progress at the speed I'd like to make it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

You misunderstand me.

I've certainly not given up, and it's not whining on my part, its explaining to a genuine questioner just how hard it is to make any progress....

Fixed for you, Stu

On 2/9/2022 at 7:32 PM, doc.fixit said:

I'm afraid Reece Mogg and Gove and Johnson epitomise everything that is wrong with the British elitist, privileged money grabbing ruling class. IMO of course.

I think you might read up about Michael Gove there, doc.  He wasn't elitist or privileged.

Rather put up for adoption and raised in a working class family.

He's far more an example of the transformative power of education rather than privilege.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

I think you might read up about Michael Gove there, doc.  He wasn't elitist or privileged.

He's far more an example of the transformative power of education rather than privilege.  

Adopted certainly, but raised in a well-off, middle-class family, his father ran a fish processing business and he went to a fee-paying secondary school.  He had a scholarship in sixth form, but his family seemed to have paid the fees before.

I'm sure Rees-Mogg and Johnson regard him as lower class, but the rest of us would regard that as an upper-middle class upbringing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chinahand said:

I stand by what I said. He may have started from humble beginnings but I'm looking at what he presents now!

I totally agree with you about the transformative power of education.