Rees-Mogg...

ManxTaxPayer

Fine, Doc. 

Though I don't think this is a profile of a privileged or even elitist person. Rather one aware of the advantage government can bring and also the failures. As Education secretary he definitely wanted to get as much as possible out of the £80,000 the UK government puts into the education of each child and lamented the waste of resource and talent the current system brings. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1375607/how-the-adopted-son-of-an-aberdeen-fish-merchant-is-now-tipped-to-be-the-new-pm/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ll never forget going to London for a conference with counsel and a without prejudice meeting with the other side, including their ( high & mighty ) client. He refused to attend if I was in the room as I was “a grammar school oik”.

I've a good friend who's now a corpulent London lawyer, but he's an Oldham lad at heart and has a particular dislike of the Henrys who have a disdain for grammar school boys and continually pokes them with his grammar school background. It's nice when he puts the boot on the other foot. 

I'm glad I've rarely interacted with such a world. My work environment has always been happily educationally diverse, but highly selected for getting on with it. 

23 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Though I don't think this is a profile of a privileged or even elitist person. Rather one aware of the advantage government can bring and also the failures. As Education secretary he definitely wanted to get as much as possible out of the £80,000 the UK government puts into the education of each child and lamented the waste of resource and talent the current system brings. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1375607/how-the-adopted-son-of-an-aberdeen-fish-merchant-is-now-tipped-to-be-the-new-pm/

But that's just the Sun trying to con its readers into believing Gove is 'one of them' a good working-class lad (made good), against all the evidence of their eyes and ears.  When he's actually upper middle-class and has always been desperate to get into the London elite.  This was during the 2016 Tory leadership and the Murdoch press were pushing Gove as their man.  As for his tenure as Education Secretary, there's a whole Wiki to devoted to the various disasters of that.

The reason he was so useless was that like so many other politicians - especially those who are also journalists - it was all about the rhetoric.  Providing something sounded good, it didn't matter whether it made any sense or would work.  It didn't even need to sound plausible to those who know anything about the subject, the purpose is to excite newspapers readers by tickling their prejudices.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’ll never forget going to London for a conference with counsel and a without prejudice meeting with the other side, including their ( high & mighty ) client. He refused to attend if I was in the room as I was “a grammar school oik”.

I reckon it was someone you went to school with and they were terrified you'd blow their cover.

22 hours ago, Chinahand said:

I've a good friend who's now a corpulent London lawyer, but he's an Oldham lad at heart and has a particular dislike of the Henrys who have a disdain for grammar school boys and continually pokes them with his grammar school background. It's nice when he puts the boot on the other foot. 

I'm glad I've rarely interacted with such a world. My work environment has always been happily educationally diverse, but highly selected for getting on with it. 

To Be fair, working class educated people with a dislike of  "Henrys" are just as much assholes as the other way round.

2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

To Be fair, working class educated people with a dislike of  "Henrys" are just as much assholes as the other way round.

Indeed, and with a complete lack of self irony awareness, they take it out on those they consider to be more oiky than them. Often manifested in the quiet background bullying on Manx Forums. 

Edited by ManxTaxPayer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...