Howard's Wood

Manx Bean

Going back to the oak wood near the test centre, can you tell me whether it has a gate or entrance wide enough to take a mobility scooter?  Mine is about 28 inches wide, so I need 30" minimum.  I would very much like to have a scoot.

Mind you, it sound like I would then need to scrape the tyres.  Yuk.

4 minutes ago, war baby said:

Going back to the oak wood near the test centre, can you tell me whether it has a gate or entrance wide enough to take a mobility scooter?  Mine is about 28 inches wide, so I need 30" minimum.  I would very much like to have a scoot.

Mind you, it sound like I would then need to scrape the tyres.  Yuk.

I reckon you would be OK. Its only a half gate but I am sure it's more than 30" and it opens fully. It's not a kissing gate. 

7 minutes ago, war baby said:

OK thanks diner. 

My next challenge is how to cross  the incessant traffic of Johnny Watterson's Lane to get there.  There are no drop kerbs, so I might well burst a tyre.  I asked the DOI, but they did not reply, of course.

I think there is a centre island if you go up the hill on the lhs. Don't try to cross at the bottom of Johnny watersons 

7 minutes ago, war baby said:

OK thanks diner. 

My next challenge is how to cross  the incessant traffic of Johnny Watterson's Lane to get there.  There are no drop kerbs, so I might well burst a tyre.  I asked the DOI, but they did not reply, of course.

Would it be easier to get a bus to the hospital and go in that end? There is a gate that opens up onto the hospital "ring road'

• Like 1

13 hours ago, war baby said:

Thanks.  I may have a crack at it when I feel brave.  There is no side pavement on the left and probably no drop kerb by the refuge.  The trouble is, there is no map that tells you.

There is a side pavement on the left. Runs past the Archibald Knox cottages. I have  feeling there are dropped kerbs but I'll check for you when I ho past this morning.

23 hours ago, war baby said:

Thanks.  I may have a crack at it when I feel brave.  There is no side pavement on the left and probably no drop kerb by the refuge.  The trouble is, there is no map that tells you.

As promised I had a look. You can get up the LHS. There are dropped kerbs at the tromode road junction and after the cottages. There is a crossing by the bus stop at the road that goes up to the millenium wood. I reckon it would be a challenge but possible.

It made me think about the challenge that mobility scooter users have. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

As promised I had a look. You can get up the LHS. There are dropped kerbs at the tromode road junction and after the cottages. There is a crossing by the bus stop at the road that goes up to the millenium wood. I reckon it would be a challenge but possible.

It made me think about the challenge that mobility scooter users have. 

This should get you up there.

download (32).jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In an ideal world it needs a panda crossing, but that will never happen.

I had no concept of the difficulties of getting out and about until I had a stroke and lost mobility in my legs.  I have recovered somewhat, but not enough to manage without my scooter.  My target is to reach the old railway line to Peel, but I am a long way off finding a safe way yet. 

Give me a toot if you spot me :)