Howard's Wood

Manx Bean

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It's not too bad. They have started mixing in some non Oak trees to thicken some areas. Oak trees are very slow growing of course. To be fair, in time, it will become a nice woodland. It's quite a small area, more popular with dog walkers than Ray Mears. 

There should have been other species from the start of course, taking 20 years to realise this (and admit the mistake) seems about par for the course.  Oak woodland never just consists of oaks:

Oak woodland is not exclusively oak trees; other species commonly found are birch, rowan, beech and holly, with hazel and hawthorn are common shrubs.  More rarely, small leaved lime and wild service may be found amongst the oaks; occasionally, pockets of hornbeam and sweet chestnut may be found, whilst damp soils will support alder and aspen.  

In the west of the country, the atlantic oakwoods are to be found.   Under the influence of the wet and relatively mild atlantic climate, the oak woodland develops a rich layer of ferns, mosses and lichens (these need clean, pollution free air to survive).  The main species in these woodlands are sessile oak, holly, rowan and hazel. 

It would be interesting to know if they planted the more suitable sessile oak or just did their usual thing of copying (and planting) the English.  And if they decided to manage it by allowing it to be 'untidy' so as to promote greater diversity, or just razed everything.

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

So there are 6868 thriving trees on the site.... (gets out magnifying glass and pen and paper)

Well it says "practically all are thriving today", it just doesn't say when "today" was.  Presumably 10th March 2000.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hooly said:

It's been a couple of months since I was last there, but I'm sure I saw a sign from DEFA saying they were going to vw carrying out work and planting new trees. Think there is a bigger car park going in?

It's a another popular place for people to take their dogs and not pick the dogs shit up 

I walked through this week, yes they’ve cleared lots of the dead trees out & replanted lots of new ones & generally made it look tidier.

They have felled some large trees by car park ready to increase size of car park, it’s always full of people walking dogs who then shit everywhere!

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Banker said:

I walked through this week, yes they’ve cleared lots of the dead trees out & replanted lots of new ones & generally made it look tidier.

They have felled some large trees by car park ready to increase size of car park, it’s always full of people walking dogs who then shit everywhere!

You would think the people would go to the loo before they walk the dogs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/11/2022 at 1:39 PM, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Aspen is not native to here anyway (from what I can see). I can see a mention of it on Manx Wildlife Trust but it doesn't say. Sycamore isn't either but has become naturalised.

Just curious, what would have been a better choice though? Would it have to be something like Scots Pine? Is it too exposed for elm or birch and ash?

All recommendations are to avoid planting Ash at prevent to Ash dieback disease, which has affected several trees in the Port Soderick/Port Grenaugh area. The island is also inundated with Dutch Elm disease, so that would be another no.

Edited by Tricky

On 2/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, Boris Johnson said:

This tree planting initiative,  is a prime example of their arrogance and control freakery,  except the people they should have handed it over to were another gov department, not private sector.

Ground preparation and planting was carried out via contractors.