Howard's Wood

Manx Bean

19 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Honestly don't know. 

I'm pretty 'green' when it comes to the ins and outs of who's involved in Government and their histories. It's something I'm taking more of an interest in at the minute. Would love to think we could get more people involved and actually use votes for something useful but appreciate that's a worldwide struggle.

I reckon....this is/has been a civil servant's little pet revenue raising project, probably born back in the day when making "savings" was the be all and end all.

Naturally, the fact that it's cost 9 times to run over what it raised last year is by-the-by. Lessons will be learned.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Hoops said:

A couple of things.

Yeah, DEFA employ tree officers, in general they are pretty helpful. I would say that the criteria needed to fell trees has loosened quite a lot in recent years.

We have a coastal stunted oak woodland - a wonderful thing. Alas it is on private land, I haven't seen it but a friend worked on the garden.

I generally prefer to plant bare-root trees early spring rather then autumn, because I don't like the inactive roots sitting in the wet over winter. As long as the plant isn't in leaf, it's all good. I believe these particular plants were purchased way early and kept in their bunches, merely heeled in until when they were ready for them, which is far from ideal.

Did they really not put rabbit guards around the young trees? Wow. And weed growth around the base of young trees seriously affects their growth rate,  exacerbating moisture problems. I've worked on large sites where watering whips etc has been an issue, good planting of the right plant in the right conditions, a heavy initial watering, mulching and weed control have ensured good survival rates without further watering.

Planting distances - you often allow for later thinning, and can use a nurse crop to protect desired specimens, but using a nurse crop of oak around oak would be an IOM solution for an IOM problem.Maybe they were early microforest trendsetters?! 

All of the above plus soil type and location all play a part in developing a woodland area. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

Claire Barber was alluding to something about that on The Mannin Line on Monday. They're assessing how they run this site and if they should be really, as they are, in essence, competing with local commercial campsites. 

But actually they aren't.  The users of the Claddagh site have normally been locals going up for a few days as an 'adventure' with their kids or as a gang of mates.  That's why it doesn't have particularly extensive facilities - people aren't there long and can always pop back home.  It doesn't even appear as a campsite for visitors on VisitIOM's website competing with those places that do appeal to visitors.

The Government's own website makes this clear:

Informal seasonal camping is permitted at 2 sites managed by the Department. Both sites have limited pitches available.

Sulby Claddagh 

The Sulby Claddagh is not a registered campsite but informal camping is allowed from Good Friday to Easter Monday and from 1 May to 30 September. Basic facilities are provided onsite including toilets but there are no showers.

For daytime recreation a permit is not required, however, you will need a camping permit to camp overnight.

If you listen to Barber's clip on the Manx Radio piece, it appears that the problem now is that the AG's Office have decided that the Claddagh has to be turned into a 'proper' campsite (no doubt at great public expense) and that if it is, it then can't be in competition with other sites.   No doubt the idea that any activity can take place on the Isle of Man without one of their chums making money out of it, is horrifying to them.

• Like 2

Quite shocking.

£56k to a third party for "security and supervision costs" which apparently weren't needed pre-covid.

£7.4k income.

WTAF?

eta Watterson, where the feck is your "Auditor General" ? there's £50k saving right there....

Edited by b4mbi
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But actually they aren't.  The users of the Claddagh site have normally been locals going up for a few days as an 'adventure' with their kids or as a gang of mates.  That's why it doesn't have particularly extensive facilities - people aren't there long and can always pop back home.  It doesn't even appear as a campsite for visitors on VisitIOM's website competing with those places that do appeal to visitors.

The Government's own website makes this clear:

Informal seasonal camping is permitted at 2 sites managed by the Department. Both sites have limited pitches available.

Sulby Claddagh 

The Sulby Claddagh is not a registered campsite but informal camping is allowed from Good Friday to Easter Monday and from 1 May to 30 September. Basic facilities are provided onsite including toilets but there are no showers.

For daytime recreation a permit is not required, however, you will need a camping permit to camp overnight.

If you listen to Barber's clip on the Manx Radio piece, it appears that the problem now is that the AG's Office have decided that the Claddagh has to be turned into a 'proper' campsite (no doubt at great public expense) and that if it is, it then can't be in competition with other sites.   No doubt the idea that any activity can take place on the Isle of Man without one of their chums making money out of it, is horrifying to them.

Government owned sites should certainly be opened up for self-catering or hostel accommodation for visitors, why on earth can 't they own a campsite? Peel Commissioners own one

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Government owned sites should certainly be opened up for self-catering or hostel accommodation for visitors, why on earth can 't they own a campsite? Peel Commissioners own one

They do own a campsite, Glen Wyllin. But they own the land. 

They issue permits for camping/motorhome overnight at various places.

Sulby Claddaghs is a difficult one. There are claims that some of it are common land, and it belongs to the people of Sulby. There not really any common land on Island. It all belongs to someone, with certain public rights.

The last two years have seen a formalisation and pegging out of pitches at Sulby. Usage was chaotic and random. Use of some areas has been stopped. I think capacity has been halved. At one point, I seem to recall, it was suggested it was to maintain safe distances during covid restrictions.

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

We must be the only place in the world where you can’t park your van in a field without having a daytime recreation permit. We’ll be having to pay for a going for a piss permit and a standing to look out at see permit next.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s a shame they can’t pay £62K to G4S to stop the Millennium Wood up in Tromode turning into a filthy stinking dog toilet. But it’s far too late now. Another good idea ruined unless your idea of a perfect day out in the Manx countryside is shoes completely covered in dog shit and a smell that literally burns your eyes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It used to function well before the gov stepped in as they do and took "control"

There was always a problem with young 'uns drinking too much and making a noise but the Police were always called and they shut up.

I have applied for a permit to camp there and it is just not worth the hassle, having to pay a fee then telling some no mark CS that you plan to go this and that date etc, it ruins the spontaneity of camping.

I now just drive as far off the road as possible in the hills and do wild camping.

4 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

The Sulby Cossacks fought & died for the right to camp on the claddagh 

Well, something like that . . . 

Some of their offspring were conceived on the Claddaghs too... 😂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Quite shocking.

£56k to a third party for "security and supervision costs" which apparently weren't needed pre-covid.

£7.4k income.

WTAF?

eta Watterson, where the feck is your "Auditor General" ? there's £50k saving right there....

I really can't get my head round this figure. Fuck me, for that amount, I'd build a shed, get a whistle and be there full time, like the warden in Father Ted.

• Haha 1