Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

52 minutes ago, HeliX said:

"Ashford says the outturn of the 2021/22 financial year should be a deficit of around £36 million. He says this is as a result of extra costs incurred during the pandemic - including purchase of PPE and business support."

Er, wouldn't there have been no deficit without the Liverpool Terminal overspend in that case? Coronavirus' fault, of course.

No because I believe the deficit does not include capital expenditure. Capital expenditure I believe is charged back over a period related to the life of the asset. The Treasury also used to assess a nominal borrowing fee. Effectively you therefore only get a proportion of the capital cost included in the annual budget surplus or deficit calculation.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Which allowances? 

Personal tax allowance. Remember these are transferable between partners. That is nearly 30k before tax is paid. I suspect few pensioners will be paying any at all. The UK has a freeze on increases. I was just really surprised to see an increase at the current time. 

11 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Curious. She appears to stick up for the GMP but at the same time also supports massive wastes like the horse trams. 

She seems to enjoy running with the hare and hunting with the hounds.

Horse trams operate in her constituency & she of course supports them as well as local hotels and guest houses

Whether there is any point to limited journeys on them is perhaps worthy of debate

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

Personal tax allowance. Remember these are transferable between partners. That is nearly 30k before tax is paid. I suspect few pensioners will be paying any at all. The UK has a freeze on increases. I was just really surprised to see an increase at the current time. 

It's a good thing to take low to earners out of the taxation system

State pensions facing huge living cost increases should have a more generous increase

• Like 3